Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:59:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  External audio jack not used on A6 Toshiba L755D
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: External audio jack not used on A6 Toshiba L755D  (Read 2473 times)
Vakkotaur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 14:08:50 PM »

Yep, the icon was in the tray.  Ihad thought it was simply a volume control as I had previously used a different set of controls.  The strange thing, though, is that I had not shut the machine off in all this time and Clementine was also still going, though I had thought I had closed it (what is it with programs that only phony-close? Kmix, I understand for the volume control, but Clementine?) and when I tried to play an mp3 with it, I got external audio.  THough I had NOT previously in this session.  It all feel rather random rather than properly deterministic.

I had expected that sudo kmix might be pointless, but it was the only thing that actually gave any result.  Thq quiet failure is a bit offputting. No maximizing or un-minimizing, nor even an "already running" message.  Mind, it has been several years since I've used KDE as some time ago I went to Xfce for PCLinuxOS and Xubuntu (I wanted 64 bits and it was, sadly, the only one that ran at all well on a different laptop).

I wnet with Pardus on this new laptop as it was one of the few things that didn't blackscreen on startup, though I see there is a work-around and possibly a fix for that, so I might go back and try something else yet. I want to like Pardus, if it behaves randomly, I don't need that frustration if something else works deterministically.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 14:34:12 PM »

... Kmix, I understand for the volume control, but...
Do a right-click on the Kmix icon (in system tray) and you will see all of it's menu's and options what it can control. Wink
Vakkotaur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 15:09:18 PM »

Had been doing that.  And getting a bunch of stuff that never seemed to make any difference.  I still don't know what change between 'Not Working' 'Working' 'Not Working Again' and 'Working Again'.
Vakkotaur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 18:49:15 PM »

I just downloaded & tried Xubuntu 12.04 alpha 2, since it has a more familiar primary desktop for me and the 3.2 kernel with various video & audio fixes (some backported from 3.3, if I read the release announcement correctly.  So far just running the LiveMedia - but it gives me what I want (aside from PCLinuxOS or something other than *buntu):  It's 64 bit. It's recent (3.x) kernel. Video works without fiddling. Audio works without fiddling around.  I plug in the external jack and the internal speakers go quiet, the externals get loud.  And the mixer has the separate controls for each.

As I said, I want(ed) to like Pardus, but I can fight with it almost working some of the time, or I can go with something I don't have to fight and use the machine for what I bought it for.  I choose to use the machine.  Perhaps if Pardus or its fork survive and have a release with a 3.2 or later kernel I might try again.

Thank you for time & effort.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 19:09:13 PM »

Exactly as I'd feared, the working external sound stopped working after a simple re-start.  And I have no idea what incantation made it work in the first place.

Was this after the computer had gone into resting mode ? ( screensaver running )
 You should be able to STILL use paprefs ( PulseAudio Preferences ) and pavucontrol (PulseAudio Yolume Control ).

I recall on initial intsall that all the file permissions were messed up - I couldn't even start KDE properly.  This makes me suspicious of Pardus itself.  That should simply Not Happen and I wonder what else is amiss.  

Did you add  /home/user to the administrative wheel during installation?

I see we posted almost the same time, good luck Vakkotaur on your decision
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:38:25 AM by Anglo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: