Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 18:30:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  The main problem of Pardus
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The main problem of Pardus  (Read 1239 times)
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2012, 21:50:14 PM »

An IT journalist has examine the first 100 distros of distrowach in the year 2007. And has asked for the big problem of the manual settings of network interface. There is no answers about this question.

A pardus user has say:
I only started using Pardus yesterday but I've read all the articles on the website (the ones in english, at least). I may not be 100% correct but I'll explain things as I understand them.
The problem is that Pardus manages services in a completely different way to the SysV init scritps that you're familiar with. The fact is the scripts you're looking for don't really exist. Network interfaces - just like all other services - are configured by Comar at the request of the Network Manger or Network Applet. These request are made through Comar's python bindings. While writing a command line tool should be no more  difficult than a GUI one, I can't find one in the standard installation, so I can only assume that there isn't one.
I realize that's not exactly the answer you were hoping for but I hope it helps in some way.

There are not configuration file like /etc/network/interfaces, there are not manual configuration script of interfaces.

Developers not answered, there is a lack of communication between the tech guys that set their network and there is nothing manual tool that can interfaces with Comar.

It is a big problem for Pardus and skilled pardus user.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 22:09:56 PM »

Hello Sandro,
They obviously haven't had to play Suse style configurations.
Are there no documentations describing intial startup and configurations anywhere ?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »

What's the problem here ^^^ 
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »

i dunno  Undecided
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 19:40:45 PM »

Hello Sandro,
They obviously haven't had to play Suse style configurations.
Are there no documentations describing intial startup and configurations anywhere ?

No there is no documentation, there is no files to setup.
zvacet
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »

If I understand coreclly question is about configuring network from CLI.I never need that option so I can not tell if one exist or not.Someone with more knowledge can answer this.
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 23:09:40 PM »

If I understand coreclly question is about configuring network from CLI.I never need that option so I can not tell if one exist or not.Someone with more knowledge can answer this.

Yes, "configuring network" and "setup", "creating a new network", "test a driver that is partially works", ecc.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 16:08:02 PM »

Sandro, when I first read your post, I thought of how wonderful it was when Pardus had Kaptan taking care of network configuration, and how it is sorely missing in the latest Pardus. 

Yes, Debian and all of its derivatives have /etc/network/interfaces, and Redhat and its offshoots  have /etc/sysconfig, but Pardus does not have anything similar.   Maybe /etc/mudur comes close. 

I don't know if it will set up a network by command line, but I was looking at ifcfg and ifconfig.
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: