Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 18:19:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  pardus 2007: No Sound onboard intel soundmax! HELP!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pardus 2007: No Sound onboard intel soundmax! HELP!  (Read 2514 times)
stefan1975

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »

Hi all.

i am currently looking for a new desktop distro. I have tried Opensuse (too slow and yast ?$#!@), kubuntu (fast but looks bad), debian (too much work for desktop OS),  fedora (sucks, slow and gnome?), xandros (stable but old software), mepis (looks good, fast but not very stable imho).

So now I tried Pardus and my first opnion is very positive. I did have to do some manual CLI tweaking but it is fast, looks good (almost on par with SUSE) and the package manager rivals debians'.

BUT. one of the largest showstopper is that SOUND is not working! I am installing on a Dell Optiplex GX270 and everything appears to be working ok, but I can't get sound working. ALL other distros had this working out of the box and it is something I really need.

I believe I have a Soundmax Intel onboard ICHP5 soundcard.

At first somehow my USB webcam was detected as primary sound device, and then I got an error:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

this was resolved by removing the Webcam since I don't use it that much (although I would like to get it working in the future).

Now I don't get the error anymore but sound isn't working either.
At boot time I can see the following message:
isapnp: no devices detected.

Can anyone help me get sound enabled? I would like to keep Pardus but missing sound is no option for me!

thanks,
stefan.
TSP
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 15:18:43 PM »

alsaconfig if you have alsa installed will do the work for you. Remeber to open kmix and change the parametrs there, something the master channel is muted
stefan1975

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 20:28:32 PM »

hi,

alsaconfig did the trick! sound is working fine now.
thanks a lot. It is a bit strange it didn't work automatically but I'm glad it did eventually.

Now I will keep testing pardus, I did have to manually edit the xorg.conf to get resolution>800*600, is that normal behaviour?

thanks again!
stefan
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 21:50:33 PM »

hi steffan1975,
welcome to pardus.
you wrote: So now I tried Pardus and my first opnion is very positive.
i think your opinion will stay positve.

in my firsts weeks with pardus i tryed alway other distros - but i always came back to pardus. it is something special - and i like kde.

you wrote:  I did have to manually edit the xorg.conf to get resolution>800*600, is that normal behaviour?

no it is not normal. normaly the hardware dedection is good. and the resulution depense on monitor and GRCA deetcion. e.g. my is 1280*1024 automatic dedected.

have a lot of fun with pardus

The world is not digital - the world is an analog swoosh
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: