Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 19:38:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Problem configuring tochpad with synaptic
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem configuring tochpad with synaptic  (Read 6941 times)
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2012, 16:11:03 PM »

Hello Smiley

When i want to configure my touch-pad to enable scroll in settings->input->touchpad Kde gives the folowing error:

"Touchpad configuration is not supported on this system. The synaptics driver is either not loaded or too old. Refer to the documentation for information about the required driver version."

I can't find anything in the help documentation of KDE, can somebody help me? Smiley

Thanks in advance,

Greets,
Tristan
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 16:53:34 PM »

On my Asus Eee PC 1001PXD I get touchpad.png
Apparently your  device is not recognizes as a touch-pad.

* touchpad.png (87.77 KB, 925x462 - viewed 199 times.)
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 19:10:27 PM »

Hmm, yeah, I have an Asus X54H.. I think Synaptics isn't running, because he doens't recongnize the Touchpad as a Touchpad, but why does the Touchpad work then? Except for the fact that I can't configure it in KDE settings.  Huh?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 21:57:48 PM »

And on my regular desktop computer (without touch-pad) I get the same as your "The synaptics driver is either...".
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 22:11:52 PM »

Hmm Indeed, Pardus sees the Touchpad as a mouse, so synaptics doesn't load at start-up.. I tested some other Distro's with the newest kernel, and as I was expecting, the double-finger scroll worked.. And also the Touchpad settings in KDE worked well. So I'm suggesting that the problem lies in the current Kernel off Pardus 2011.2. Perhaps my hardware is to new. But I'm not going to use another Distro, because Pardus just works so well. I'll just wait until another Kernel release.  Smiley
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 22:41:34 PM »

Hmm Indeed, Pardus sees the Touchpad as a mouse, so synaptics doesn't load at start-up.. I tested some other Distro's with the newest kernel, and as I was expecting, the double-finger scroll worked.. And also the Touchpad settings in KDE worked well. So I'm suggesting that the problem lies in the current Kernel off Pardus 2011.2. Perhaps my hardware is to new. But I'm not going to use another Distro, because Pardus just works so well. I'll just wait until another Kernel release.  Smiley

Before you despair, you may wish to read this : http://linux.die.net/man/5/synaptics  , Your mention of the device working gave me the notion that X11 was ( possibly)  involved.

Anglo
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 22:46:31 PM by Anglo » Logged
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 16:08:00 PM »

Okay, so I did some research and added a file ("10-synaptics.conf") with the following content in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/:

Code:
Section "InputClass"
      MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
      Identifier "touchpad catchall"
      Driver "synaptics"
      MatchIsTouchpad "on"
      Option "VertEdgeScroll" "off"
      Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
EndSection

But still not working  Sad was this what you ment?

Greets,

Tristan
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 18:23:07 PM »

Well , that is a start.
But I would want to know what the computer thinks you have
maybe a "dmesg | grep " mouse" (or "synaptics ")
or
lswh ( both commands are from console )

Edit : do you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by anychance ?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 20:13:13 PM by Anglo » Logged
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »

What is 'lswh'?  Huh? Console doesn't recognize it.
"dmesg | grep "mouse"" gives:
Code:
tris@pardus2011 ~ $ dmesg | grep "mouse"
[    1.462818] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[    1.803653] psmouse serio4: ID: 10 00 64
and "dmesg | grep "synaptics"" gives nothing Smiley
So I'm afraid he recognizes my Touch-Pad as a Ps/2 mouse  Embarrassed

edit reply: No i don't have that file. But do I have to make one?

Greets,
Tristan
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 14:38:00 PM »

Hi Tristan
 "lswh " should have been "lshw"  (d'oh)
The synaptics is recognized as a serial device in default mode , did you go to the website and look for drivers (yes  I know that's an obvious thing ...) ,all I could find was one that only spoke windows.

have a look here : http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/28176-Need-help-using-touchpad-in-laptop-running-Knoppix-6.2.0

anglo
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 15:23:30 PM by Anglo » Logged
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 18:45:06 PM »

Thanks for reply Smiley

Yes I've compiled "xf86-input-synaptics-xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0" form my machine, but it's still not working. I tested the commando's on the forum you send me, but they don't work because synaptic isn't running.. somehow I need to get synaptic running on start-up so I can configure it..  Wink And do you think a windows driver would work?

PS: I can't install the command 'lshw' because, suddenly, my Pisi isn't working anymore.

Greets,

Tristan
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 19:46:28 PM »

PS: I can't install the command 'lshw' because, suddenly, my Pisi isn't working anymore.
I suspect this ^^^ has to do with this topic. :'(
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 19:51:17 PM »

Thanks for reply Smiley

Yes I've compiled "xf86-input-synaptics-xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0" form my machine, but it's still not working. I tested the commando's on the forum you send me, but they don't work because synaptic isn't running.. somehow I need to get synaptic running on start-up so I can configure it..  Wink And do you think a windows driver would work?

Greets,

Tristan

updating : See Atolboo's post above

as far as using windows drivers , thats beyond my knowledge.

I usually cheat , and I use a knoppix live disc to see if that will recognize a problem hardware .
if you wish to try this , use that or a usb knoppix to see .  Directions here , reply #18 : http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=4289.15
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 20:09:05 PM »

Okay, Thanks for the help Angelo, but I'm gonna wait untill the next kerel release In Pardus.. Because I know its a "out of date" kernel problem in Pardus Smiley My hardware is a bit new Wink.

And about the Pisi-problem.. I read atolboo's post, removed the old Pardus-stable repo and added the new one. But I still get this error:

Code:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.120 was not provided by any .service files

Smiley

Greets,

Tristan
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 20:33:19 PM »

Okay, Thanks for the help Angelo, but I'm gonna wait untill the next kerel release In Pardus.. Because I know its a "out of date" kernel problem in Pardus Smiley My hardware is a bit new Wink.

And about the Pisi-problem.. I read atolboo's post, removed the old Pardus-stable repo and added the new one. But I still get this error:

Code:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.120 was not provided by any .service files

Smiley

Greets,

ristan

As you wish Tristan, then the following is of no interest to you : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: