Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:41:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  trouble listening to sound at web page with Firefox [solved]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: trouble listening to sound at web page with Firefox [solved]  (Read 1790 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2012, 18:47:53 PM »

Hello,
I am having a problem with the following page:

http://www.babelnation.com/german/courses/01_01_8.html

When I click on any of the arrows, nothing happens.  I clicked on the troubleshoot for that web page and it says to make sure javascript is enabled.  It is.  I also have java and flash enabled, just in case they are needed, too.
I have the same problem at another website:

http://www.forvo.com/word/d%C3%BCsseldorf/#de
the arrow for the MP3 sound doesn't play.

I just tested sound by putting in a movie dvd, and it plays sound, so nothing wrong with my sound card.
I'm using Firefox 10.0.1
Thank you for any help!
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 22:43:32 PM by Lisa » Logged
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 20:41:57 PM »

I just tried using Firefox, Chromium and Opera. On the first page the test button works (near the top of the page), but none of the arrows do. On the second page the arrows work ok.  Same thing on my Gentoo box, so it's not distro specific.
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 22:32:11 PM »

Tried both sites in Firefox and Chromium with the same results as csaenemy. There are some javascript errors on the first site so that's probably what's causing the problem there. Can't see any problems on the second site though, so it should be working as long as you've got JS enabled for forvo.com.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 22:42:50 PM »

Thank you for testing those pages for me.  A few hours later, updated Firefox to 10.0.2 and the forvo page works, but nothing on the babelnation works (test button nor arrows). 
I assume the update did trick for forvo site.

Much obliged csaenemy and airtight!
Lisa Marie
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 23:05:21 PM »

Hi Guys

I was in the middle of a system restore when I had seen Lisa's problem. so in rapid succession,  I went from firefox 6.02(?) , updated to firefox 10.02, and then did a manual update to firefox 12.0a2  ( I have to disable foxlingo for this one , and google maps api complains about the fovo map certificate ).

At each stage , I went to the pages Lisa described ( all of them with javascript and flash enabled ) , tried the sound and the page arrows if they were presented.

In all cases they worked.So at this point , I'm rather stumped for a possible explantation other than your settings may not be optimal.

anglo

P.S. Nice sites Lisa, got 'em bookmarked myself now Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 23:11:23 PM by Anglo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 00:10:48 AM »

Hi anglo,
Yeah, I may have missed something, going quickly through to try and figure out what was wrong, so I can't be specific.  If I have the time, I just might revert back to the previous version of what was updated today to see.  Curious.  The other updates that I did today also included:
    * firefox is upgraded from 10.0.1-168-p11-x86_64 to 10.0.2-169-p11-x86_64.
    * x264 is upgraded from 0.0_20110615-34-p11-x86_64 to 0.0_20120220-36-p11-x86_64.
    * ffmpeg is upgraded from 0.6.1_20110105-95-p11-x86_64 to 0.10-97-p11-x86_64.
    * podofo is upgraded from 0.8.2-7-p11-x86_64 to 0.8.4-8-p11-x86_64.
    * vlc-libs is upgraded from 1.1.12-58-p11-x86_64 to 1.1.13-59-p11-x86_64.
    * libgadu

Another thing to note.  I then tried with konqueror browser, my favourite browser, and got the message that a flash plugin was not installed, and would I like to install it.  Huh?  It's there.  So in konqueror went to Plugins, under Settings, clicked on the Plugin tab, and clicked on Scan for Plugins.  It then worked for this site:

http://www.fonetiks.org/sou2ge.html

but I noticed after the scan, there is a question mark after netscape plugins, which should be in home folder: home/.netscape, but there is no such folder on my computer.  Maybe this comes with one of the other browser I don't have installed, like Chromium or Opera.   Can anyone check if they have this netscape folder, a hidden folder in their home directory?  Thank you!

P.S. duh, Netscape, isn't it what Opera used to be at one time, Netscape, the browser my husband bought back in '96 for us to use to avoid IE.  Just to let you know, I'm downloading Opera, as I kept seeing an ns something error at that one site, I assume ns is netscape. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 00:29:00 AM by Lisa » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 00:34:34 AM »

I looked
All I have is opera , firefox, links ( console browser ) , and konquorer.
But I do not have a /.netscape directory at all , nor any references to it elsewhere, sorry
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »

Thanks anglo.  And yes, after installing Opera, no hidden netscape folder in home directory.  Oh well.  I thought I was on to something, but you did try those pages with each step of Firefox updates, and all worked.  Must be something else. 

You know, someone at another forum mentioned to our regular German member that Dusseldorf was a funny sounding word.  He said it didn't sound funny to him, as he grew up with the word and has or had an aunt that lived there.  I thought, hmmm, I bet it doesn't sound funny when spoken in its native tongue.  That's how I ended up finding those sites.  They are pretty good, aren't they? I've always wanted to learn German and nowadays with all of the free tools out there available, there isn't an excuse.  And no, I now do not think Düsseldorf sounds funny as the end is more like doff, barely pronouncing the 'r' , unlike the sound 'or' sound as in dork, or dorky dude, depending on when you grew up.  Grin
Thanks again.   Tomorrow is another day.
Lisa Marie
zvacet
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:57:03 AM »

Lisa if you are interested in learning new language look at Livemocha site.Maybe you will find it helpful.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:45:20 AM »

I once knew a mutilingual chezch, despite knowing english , polish, some russian, esperanto ( thats the language she and her husband could only first speak in ) , she had found the word mississipi the hardest to pronounce.

Edit : I've been looking at my plug-ins Lisa, and  I have two disabled , mplayerplug-in , and windows media player plugin, I generally use other plug-ins  ( as in "ANY" others ). Don't know if that makes a difference , but hey , easy to check on............

anglo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 14:46:23 PM by Anglo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 16:02:16 PM »

Thanks for the link, zvacet.  Waiting upon registration.

anglo, yes, normally I disable all of the plugins just to make surfing faster, as I rarely use them.  I enabled all but those two you said.  This morning the babelnation site's music symbol button works with 'test, one, two', but I think there is something wrong with their flashplayer links to the vowel sound arrows as they don't do anything in any browser I've tried.  That site also made Konqueror and Arora browsers crash, so I'll write them off.

Still, I am curious why Konqueror wants to find netscape plugin folder under /home folder.  There is the .mozilla folder, but nothing under home folder has any netscape plugins. 

anglo, it amazes me how most Americans can only speak one language.  Its almost shameful. 
My mom always had problems with the name of one of my brother's friends, Rory. 
Lisa Marie
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 16:30:49 PM »

anglo, it amazes me how most Americans can only speak one language.  Its almost shameful.  
My mom always had problems with the name of one of my brother's friends, Rory.  
Lisa Marie

It seems both our countries are ones with many languages spoken, but only one or two are official, ( then there are the many varieties of english as well ).......

anglo

P.S. : got to looking , the newest version of netscape seems to be from 2008 , number  ver 9 , I believe
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 17:25:22 PM by Anglo » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: