Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:30:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  virtualbox tools.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: virtualbox tools.  (Read 664 times)
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2012, 23:37:54 PM »

I'm probably being totally dumb here, but I've not used virtualbox before.

To test out the new testing repositories for Pardus, I installed Pardus 2011.2 under virtualbox on my testbed box (currently running Siduction [a Debian Sid derivative]) and then added the testing repository.

However when I tried to update, it failed on the virtualbox kernel modules (said they need 2.6.3x). And now the virtual machine won't boot properly.

So the question is: Are the virtualbox modules needed on the guest system or can they be uninstalled before updating -- I don't plan on running a virtual box within a virtual box!

There may of course be other problems as even when booting with the old kernel, kwin crashed, but I'd like to eliminate the virtualbox packages as a source of the problems.

James
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 23:52:18 PM »

Hi James,

- Install 2011.2 under virtualbox
- Add Anka repo and remove or turn of other repos
- remove module-virtualbox-guest, module-virtualbox-guest-userspace, virtualbox-guest-utils
- Upgrade
- Reboot into Anka

I think the virtualbox modules are not needed, but looks like you need to install again under virtualbox
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »

Many thanks -- that's more or less what I thought; I just wasn't sure if the virtualbox stuff was needed by the guest system to access the virtual HDD or something like that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: