Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 01:57:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Spirit of Pardus.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spirit of Pardus.  (Read 897 times)
jasperodus
« on: June 12, 2012, 20:38:33 PM »

Hi there,

First off, I would like to commend the valuable and hard work being done here to try and keep the original spirit of Pardus alive. Trying to coordinate and ‘glue’ the unfortunate fragmentation of Pardus is a massive task - it may prove too much - but Pardus is a special case.

I have used many different distributions over the years. In recent times, the most innovative distro has to be Pardus. The attention to detail was outstanding and it just kept on improving. It was plainly obvious that the reason for the quality was because the people in the project really cared and believed in what they were doing. I know the developers were being paid, but still, they had to have cared because it is just so evident in the end product.

Pardus can not just be allowed to die. I know there are various groups and individuals who want Pardus to survive but at the same time I get the impression that a lot of people are resigned to the idea that Pardus is a lost cause. I think the fundamental problem is communication. This, in the end, will be the deciding factor as to whether or not Pardus lives on. Communication is the first priority - everything else, every other resource is dependent upon it.

The ideal of creating a 'national distro’, as in the case of Pardus, is good. But you have a problem when, because of its quality and technical merits, it appeals to a much wider audience - and then language/communication can be a problem.

Also, Government projects can be all the rage one minute and abandoned the next. A constant play of agendas. So, perhaps in a way, the official changes at TUBITAK etc, might have been ultimately necessary, and the catalyst to force the 'community’ to overcome the language obstacles and come closer together to assume the role of guardian, or foster-parent.

I share Richard’s belief that we are at a critical point. Things need to have a central point of focus - there is a lot of fragmentation and confusion/uncertainty.  Even the format of this Worldforum is a bit fragmented in layout. Now, I know that you, Richard, might have taken on the role of looking after this site and that you are obviously trying to do many things at once, so I am not being critical of you. Also, I have no experience in these matters, and no real helpful suggestions.

Obviously things are awkward: Pardus/Anka stuff to try and incorporate in the forum layout but it, too, looks a bit fragmented and confusing. At the moment it could be difficult to decide where to post a comment, as there might be several places all concerned with essentially the same topic. Would it be practical to try and merge some stuff, perhaps some sub-categories?

I have seen the list of contributors - and I would really like to help in some way, but don’t know what I could offer. I have no technical ability or second language. I would not feel that simply listing myself as an ‘End user’ would qualify myself as being an actual contributor in any real sense. Any ideas?

A couple of general points:

I think you have a hugely valuable asset in Dirse.

Have many of the past/present official developers have been contacted - and what sort of response has there been?

Any feedback from groups or developers about a central hub of focus?

Has it now been 100% decided that it is pointless having any involvement with the official project and that Anka is going to form as a basis for the development of the ‘community edition’ of Pardus?

If a new name (likely) is required at some point, I think it should, if at all possible, have some bearing on the name of Pardus as the preferred option. As Panthera pardus tulliana is the name for the Anatolian leopard, how about Panthera? I think it’s cool, and can be easily regarded and accepted as being essentially what Pardus is. I don’t think there are any active distros with the name. There is the option of Tulliana, (as used for the icon set), but I don’t think that works as well - I think it would be ideal for any new name to retain and convey the ‘image’ of Pardus.

Take care.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 20:43:52 PM by jasperodus » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 21:37:18 PM »

My opinion is that Panthera is a good proposal when Pardus can't be maintained because of legal reasons.
But the name isn't the main problem.
zhenshen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 22:27:29 PM »

Hello, first of all want to say that I was ahead jasperodus. As for the title and think that it should be a continuation of Pardus. For example Leopardus, or as suggested previously Panthera, but as noted atolboo name does not have a main problem. My opinion is that it is necessary to determine the team - which will consist of real people that could have / continue the work of Pardus. And I think that the two guys listed on the world forum would be very difficulty. And only then you make any predictions. Although I very much look forward for a new information, especially Pardus 2012.

good luck and patience.
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 22:40:13 PM »

I think you have a hugely valuable asset in Dirse.
Yes, i also think that Smiley

Have many of the past/present official developers have been contacted - and what sort of response has there been?
I try to contact all of them, i send all the former developers a mail, and also lot of people who are on the contribute-list.
The former developers nobody responded. I talked  with one on Facebook, and he has no more intrested in Pardus.
The contribute-list, few of them responded, mostly testers.

Any feedback from groups or developers about a central hub of focus?
The feedback is: First stable x64 and x86 repo, stable root system and then build an ISO based on this.
After that they focus more on creating community and teams.

The developers with a playgroud are: badibere, pantera, kuftkufti, marcin, metalmanbaris, namso, richdb, sezaiyorum and yusuf.

Has it now been 100% decided that it is pointless having any involvement with the official project and that Anka is going to form as a basis for the development of the ‘community edition’ of Pardus?
Not decided yet.
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 22:41:16 PM »

But the name isn't the main problem.

What is the main problem in your eyes? Please some feedback ..
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 22:49:00 PM »

What is the main problem in your eyes?
Currently that's the i686 repo.

a playgroud
mine is at pardususer.de Grin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 23:01:12 PM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 21:16:08 PM »

I wanted to reply to this thread as I fully agree with jasperodus' fifth paragraph, which also seems to be along the lines of what Dirse is saying.  After seeing what my husband has gone through as an engineer, a very true statement about governments and how they can change, dropping a good thing which is wasteful.  

Consider me a user, like in the movie, Tron, but I'm still enjoying Pardus, even after installing and using a Mandriva knock off os.  I've never used Mandriva before and I have to say, Pardus still should be proud of their os.  I definitely like the Package Manager.  You don't know how great Pardus is until you try another distro, even though those distros have many more available packages, but that is because they are tied at the waste with the two major ones that most distros are knock offs of.  

I am also quite amazed at the responsibility being taken here and watching the progress.  The one thing I really like about Pardus is that the community may be small but it has big ideas and big compassion.   I can make myself laugh...I think I meant passion or fervor. 
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:27:02 AM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: