Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:39:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  Replacement for Pardus: PCLinuxOS
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Replacement for Pardus: PCLinuxOS  (Read 2500 times)
daves
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 23:40:22 PM »

Sabayon Linux: Uses debian testing and how stable is that.
Sabayon doesn't use the debian testing packages but uses its own packages, that are builded from the gentoo repo or builded from scratch. Sabayon has its own package manager (entropy) that use binary packages and has portage too.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 23:56:53 PM »

I made a small mistake Embarrassed and will be modified.
From there Wiki
Sabayon Linux uses Gentoo's testing branch as its base.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:10:27 AM by atolboo » Logged
Dirse Yalçın

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 01:13:44 AM »

1) I had started this same discussion (also a poll) 3 months ago, seeking a Pardus "replacement". Back then jasperodus (a big asset) was here. He had made a few suggestions (Mageia, etc.). Some "touchy" people attacked the idea so I quit the topic, canceled the poll. Around then jasperodus left (I hope he returns some day).

2) Due to the delay of Anka (stable 64-bit repo, stable 32-bit repo, iso, etc. everything still unclear) I now see the "replacement" discussion becoming alive again. The initiative from SolusOS last month about PiSi cooperation was a new hope. I wonder how that's coming around?..

3) Last week I had a keyboard problem with Pardus, which I shared here. Thanks to TicoLinux, I learned that the same problem had been reported here and solved a long time ago (the key being the startx terminal (Konsole) command probably common to many Linux distros?). I felt very happy that this forum still exists. I hope it exists for at least until the year end. This forum is a good database which should live as long as it can. I am so sorry to hear that pardususer.de will close by the end of 2012.

All the above made me reconsider some issues and here is my proposal:

1) Let's keep this forum (domain name rights, etc.) even after 2012. This forum has a good design, very practical, simplistic, not too fancy, does its job quite well. Headings, sub-headings, moving them around, colors, characters, formatting, replying, easily and selectively quoting, and many other features are a big investment not to be lost.

2) If Pardus/Anka becomes really dead in the future, we can gradually evolve this forum into a broader, more general forum about various Linux distros and even Linux in general. We can rearrange the headings and sub-headings, depending on most frequent questions & comments concerning Linux generally and most popular specific distros. For example:

- common terminal (Konsole, Guake, etc.) commands,

- file structures (root, home, mnt, opt, dev, media, etc.),

- downloading and installing printer, etc. drivers,

- promoting the use of "live" iso's (especially for those who want to switch from Windows to Linux), which I say is one of the greatest inventions on this planet  Cheesy

- working with hybrid iso's (CD, DVD, USB, etc.), again, a great invention against MS/Windows,

- and, many other most common Linux hints & tips, discussions...

3) I see this evolution has already started in this forum Wink

P.S.: Please let me know if there is a forum, a website which exists already, like the one I tried to describe (envisage) above?
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 04:50:22 AM »

I have said it before, linux is linux , and none of the varieties are perfect.
I'm here for the community , it's the people that come here that attract me .
So I can endorse Dirse's idea.
anglo
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 05:00:35 AM »

I guess that is just what Pardus is for me, a show stopper. 
If you can't have the best , everything else will just have to do
anglo, I'm surprised you haven't tried Snowflake.  It is Debian-based, maybe that is why, but it implements the I17 desktop. 

Mind reading now? atm I'm using "Snow Linux' with it's E17 ( Americans spell funny ), a good distro for a Canadian
Still using Pardus, Pardus original on one partiton and Pardus Anka on another.
One way or another , I will be using pisi, pardus(anka) again,just not in a rush
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

....... and none of the varieties are perfect.
I agree on that ^^^ one and is also valid for Pardus.
(I also enhanced my arguments for pclos)
daves
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 13:16:29 PM »

Pardus is the best distro around here. Now i'm trying fedora but it isn't at the same level. Please bring to us Anka!  Cry
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »

Atolboo what are the pros against Mageia?
The margin of Pclos over Mageia is very small.
There KDE implementation is slightly better.
And there implementation of the Control Center also.
Packages in the repo are packed with better support/details.
Examples:
You can install the latest VB with the 'Get Oracle VM Virtualbox' script and it does also installs the extension pack automatically with it.
Kdenlive automatically comes with the XVid4 .avi rendering option.
Of course there will there will be exceptions with respect to packages.
There reaction to problems here and here is outstanding compared to Mageia here.
There is still a problem with automatic resolution detection of my HP LP2475w monitor.
As that can be set manually, it's not a show stopper.

SolusOs: I miss KDE there and is still very young.
Chakra: My experience is that it's rather unstable with there packages and still very young.
Sabayon Linux: Uses Gentoo testing and how stable is that.

But I never get PCLinuxOS Live CD running. Every time it stops at the moment searching USB (something).
It is the only Distro where I get this. So never get the change to test it.
I never got that problem and you can also test there reaction to your problem.

Most of these concerns are valid Atolboo ,but temporary  (and changeable ),I would hate to see the master of P3 * go and get  old ,and fat and rusty.

* ( P3 = Pisi Packaging Powers )
anglo
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: