Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 20:33:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  Replacement for Pardus: Manjaro
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Replacement for Pardus: Manjaro  (Read 2129 times)
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2012, 23:32:38 PM »

This is a new distro, still at the beta stage. The aim of the developers is to make a derivative of Arch that ordinary users can install and use. While the primary desktop is Xfce, there are KDE and Gnome versions as well.

After trying it on a VM as part of the testing of gtk-fortran I felt it was something different from most others. It has now replaced Kubuntu on my main laptop and Pardus on my media box. While there are still a few rough edges, it looks to be heading in the right direction and is well worth a try.

Link to the home page: http://blog.manjaro.org/
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 18:26:33 PM »

Like the idea, and in general XFCE is gaining popularity as DE, e.g. also Debian moved to XFCE as primary DE.
Although Arch seems quite popular as far as I know (just ike Pardus  Grin) it uses its own package system, would you consider that as a pro or a con?

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 22:33:21 PM »

Indeed, Arch & its derivatives do use their own package management. The format is an XZ compressed tarball, but (unlike Slackware) there is dependency handling. Similarly to Pisi, the install is done in one step, c.f. .deb where all packages are unpacked then all are installed.

The usual drawback to not using one of the big two packaging systems is fewer packages available. For Arch & derivatives this is considerably eased by the Arch User Repository (AUR ) system, which allows package build scripts to be uploaded to a repository. The bundled tools for building from the AUR are officially supported by Manjaro (unlike Arch itself). That said, I've only had to go to AUR for a few packages (e.g. plplot, ms fonts gnu-data-language).

In the spectrum of derivative distributions, Manjaro has a similar pattern to Ubuntu i.e. they have their own repository servers and build system, the core packages are configured to fit the distro's needs while many others are just rebuilt using the un-modified Arch build scripts (similar to Ubuntu's Universe). At the moment the core team are putting a lot of effort into improving the core infrastructure such as the Manjor Hardware Detection scripts (mhwd), so updates aren't that rapid. The long-term plan is to have a rolling release but to lag a little behind Arch to allow more testing and so prevent the broken systems that can occasionally happen with Arch.

Probably the most dramatic difference I find from both Kubuntu and Pardus is that the boot and shutdown times are much shorter.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 16:10:09 PM »

For me a 'Replacement for Pardus' is a stable user-friendly KDE OS and how is has been performing regarding these matters in the past.
That are (in short) my wishes/requirements Wink
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 16:32:22 PM »

Playing with it now ,based on James T recommendation,
So far ( 10 hours since install ) I've not had hardware problems ( damned nvidia and all that ), came up with my main time wasters (firefox thunderbird, xchat , and pidgin ) already installed and current . Seems to be replete with tools ( console and gui ) ,
Doesn't get stupid about passwords ( like every other keystroke )
Oh yeah , switched to Enlightement and got the basics , seems to be as solid as kde or gnome ( xfce "just worked" )
The installer must be that ( " a few rough edges,"  ) but it worked.
AND it works acceptably on a ol' one lung P4 with hyperthreading

Just early days , but nice catch James T , gonna have to work to complain about this one
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 16:47:43 PM by Anglo » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 21:07:33 PM »

Although I like the efforts made by Manjaro.... today ...is the day...that I waved Pardus goodbye after 4, perhaps even 5 memorable and very enjoyable years having used Pardus as my one and only operating system.

After lots of reflection I have decided to come back to the single other distro (next to Pardus) where I have come back to before: Open SUSE 12.2 (KDE).

Will keep visiting this worldforum of course to see what happens (or not).

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 17:47:18 PM »

Good luck

and better luck with the suse switch
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:57:26 AM »

After lots of reflection I have decided to come back to the single other distro (next to Pardus) where I have come back to before: Open SUSE 12.2 (KDE).

Maybe you should start a thread for OpenSUSE, to describe its advantages & disadvantages.

Like you I continue to follow this forum, but I'm not really hopeful.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »

Maybe you should start a thread for OpenSUSE, to describe its advantages & disadvantages.

Like you I continue to follow this forum, but I'm not really hopeful.

OpenSUSE 12.2 install was piece of cake in <20 minutes.
Have adjusted the repositories somewhat (am trying Tumbleweed rolling release concept).
Have used it switching between KDE, XFCE and LXDE (installed all three of them), but KDE is still my main desktop environment.
So far no big issues, but only a few minor KDE desktop related (I guess) issues, e.g. when I tried to change the wallpaper the first time, my entire desktop went blank (?) and had to puzzle a bit to restore it, also the taskbar had to be rearranegd after that, but the next try, changing to the same wallpaper all went well just as it should). Furthermore the time (although set to correct time zone) had to be readjusted a couple of times, but it may just be that I had set something wrong there. These two things (correct time, and one time loss of desktop upon first time trying to change wallpaper) are the only problems I encountered so far, I must admit I had not expected that one with the wallpaper, should not happen to a big distro such as OpenSUSE, I have never encountered a wallpaper change desktop loss issue in my Pardus life  Cheesy

In turn my self quite curious how things are going with Manjaro: are you still using it and what are your expierences so far?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:49:07 AM by Michiel » Logged

Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »

@Michiel
Is there a updated ISO available for KDE 12.2?
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »

@Michiel
Is there a updated ISO available for KDE 12.2?

I do not understand your question, what do you mean exactly?

I have downloaded the entire 12.2 OpenSUSE DVD, installed that one and the  updated (which did not involve too many new packages because 12.2 wa quite recently released)

http://software.opensuse.org/122/nl (I took the 64-bt version)

And my system now uses KDE 4.8.5 (" release 2" ) according to KInfocenter if that is what your are asking?

* opensuse12_2.png (177.54 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 130 times.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:17:45 AM by Michiel » Logged

Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »

@Michiel
12.2 was released at the beginning of September.  There should be a rather large update to the original ISO after installation.  I was hoping to avoid this by getting a current version of the ISO if available.  My interest is in the KDE Live CD/DVD.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »

@Michiel
12.2 was released at the beginning of September.  There should be a rather large update to the original ISO after installation.  I was hoping to avoid this by getting a current version of the ISO if available.  My interest is in the KDE Live CD/DVD.

Don' t know, I suppose they have just the newest ISO images available as current download?
Is there a special reason that you assume different 12.2 ISO versions and is there as far as you know a way to test and find out which version(s) you have?

Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

@Michiel
They used to keep this updated -- http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Medias/images/iso/?C=M;O=D -- but not any more.  Here is the GNOME version -- http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/Medias/images/iso/ -- at one year old.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »

I guess 12.2 version is frozen after final releases came out (end of August / begin of September 2012) and are ready for download at the OpenSUSE website URL I already posted, they are now developing OpenSUSE 12.3 and milestone0 testing versions are here:

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.3-Milestone0/iso/

But I do not really get your point why you should not stick to downloading the current stable 12.2 versions and update from there? Is there something specific you are waitng for in a newer version?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: