Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:14:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  alsamixer show other than default
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: alsamixer show other than default  (Read 1279 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:58:38 AM »

Hi,
Not meaning to usurp the 'replacement for Pardus threads'  Wink  but I have been working on the sound for my desktop computer, and didn't realize until this week that my woofer is not putting out any sound, only the two speakers on top of the desk. 

And, learned a trick that I found myself by typing in konsole:
alsamixer --help

and also saw something similar at the Fedora forum.

When I start alsamixer via the konsole, it shows PulseAudio as the card and would only show the Master, and not PCM, s/pdif, etc.   It should show card as CMI8788.  According to Fedora folks,  pulseaudio is the default for alsamixer. 

Doing the following command showed the correct output. 

alsamixer -c 0

which showed all outputs at halfway mark.  Still haven't figured out why my woofer isn't putting out sound, but at least I learned something new. 
To find out the card number, I guessed at it, but you can also see which you have by typing in konsole command:

aplay -l

Now, back to 'a replacement for Pardus'.  Tongue

* alsamixer.png (32.84 KB, 579x628 - viewed 130 times.)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »

And if I had paid attention to alsamixer menu, one can easily select their sound card by hitting F6.  Grin
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 15:46:10 PM »

Doing the following command showed the correct output. 

alsamixer -c 0
Thanks for the tip.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 19:27:12 PM »

"Hi,
Not meaning to usurp the 'replacement for Pardus threads'  Wink  "

Still mind reading , timely as all get out

Continue usurping away.........XP

anglo
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 23:24:30 PM »

Well, I have computer speakers that are 2.1 and from reading, alsa doesn't configure these well as the subwoofer is tied to the two satellite speakers and you don't get surround but stereo.  I'm still not hearing anything from my subwoofer.  I have been reading, though, and there's this little command line program called
alsactl

I have the problem like some laptop users have mentioned, where alsamixer gets reset upon reboot or start of computer.  It always sets it back to the halfway level.

So,  you open 'alsamixer -c 0' in command line, or hit F6 to select your soundcard for 'alsamixer', again, with command line. 
Pull up those sliders to where you want them.  Esc.
Then in konsole enter:
sudo alsactl store
and the sound is at levels I set after reboot.  Okay, back to anka kernel work.  Hurray!  I'm being patient as just from looking at pantera's hat, I figure he has another job.  Grin
Speaking of job, time to mow the lawn.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: