Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:56:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  How did you hear about Pardus?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How did you hear about Pardus?  (Read 16958 times)
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 12:09:43 PM »

Hello Thijs,

I heard it being mentioned a couple of months ago in a Dutch videocast called n3rd.tv, this was just after my unpleasant experience with Ubuntu. Then I searched for Pardus in Google and ended up on the Dutch website of Pardus. I installed it and it worked (except for Wifi networking) on my laptop.

Kind regards,
Frank
benighted

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 21:27:55 PM »

my friend told me about this distro, and show me on his pavillion. simply amazing.
Kavani
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 00:30:03 AM »

I was looking for a distro that could do WPA out of the box.  Distrowatch had a few, but Pardus took the prize!
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 20:23:59 PM »

I was using Ubuntu before, but I grew tried of its instability, so I decided to scroll through Distrowatch to see which distros I hadn't tried, I found out Pardus was made by the Turkish government which was a big plus. Although, I had tried to install it several months ago, but I rushed the installation, when I saw the Turkish writing I simply exitted the installer as I didn't have time to waste (I was trying a lot of different distros at the same time).

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 20:46:31 PM »

I read an enthusiastic review of Pardus on a blog. I was not fully satisfied with Kubuntu which was demanding too much configuration work.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Ch00k
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 22:24:48 PM »

I've read about Pardus here: http://archux.com/blogs/miggols99/pardus-2008-where-were-you 2008 was current version that time, but it had issues with particular sound chipsets (MCP51, I have one), so I switched to another distro. But upon 2008.1 I switched back to Pardus.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »

I was looking at moving to linux from OS X (I had moved from MS to OS X two years before) and did one of these "which distro to chose" website-based test. It suggested OpenSuse, PCLinuxOS and Pardus. Because OpenSuse was better known, I tried it, but found it extremely slow and configuring my wifi was a nightmare for a newbie. I tried PLOS, but I found it ugly and wifi was also an issue. I gave Pardus a spin and not only did wifi worked out of the box, but is was good-looking and fast. That ticked all the boxes.
tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 18:44:20 PM »

I don't actually remember.  When I had my subscription to Linux format they had a monthly section from the guy who runs distrowatch.  I am pretty sure I read about it there.

I can remember everything else though like my first package my first time in #pardus-devel haha.

I learn to say hello everyone through IRC haha.

Merhaba Herkese

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 19:29:57 PM »

Lol, I didn't know the person who ran Distrowatch also wrote articles for that magazine > I may consider buying a copy just to find out what its like.

tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 20:05:46 PM »

Idont know if he still does.  My subscription ran out about 8 months ago and I never renewed.

The magazine was ok.  I bought it for the reviews and guides.  It has except tutorials and guides.  They have things like how to set up a media centre.  How to program a simply pyhton game, then they run it over a few editions.

However it is still over priced though, but what computer magazine isnt now haha.

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 20:34:32 PM »

Lol, true:
http://www.magazine-stand.co.uk/?gclid=CKn5juua0pYCFRmA1Qod1gbT2A&T=1225481633&JTID=3074644&OGID=112&network=GAW
^This site offers pretty substantial discounts at any rate. Have you tried MicroMart (weekly)?

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 00:44:41 AM »

at the Linux Mint newsletter that mentioned the release of Mint KDE CE 5 Elyssa back in September.  Someone posted to the blog to take a look at Pardus and I had to check it out.  I did.  I'm glad I did!

Lisa Marie
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »

I'v never tried Mint, is it just a bloated version of GNOME?

tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 02:57:38 AM »

Mhmrcs I havent read Micromart.  When I see it, it seems to be just about hardware.  I have no real interest in hardware.  I have never even built my own computer! haha

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »

Lol, fair point, theres a lot of advertising about hardware, but they have pretty good articles about computing in general (nothing windows specific etc).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: