Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:45:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  How did you hear about Pardus?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How did you hear about Pardus?  (Read 16940 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 18:41:01 PM »

I'v never tried Mint, is it just a bloated version of GNOME?

Hi Mhmrcs,

Hmm, I'm not sure about bloated, but it does come with many applications.  Maybe I don't notice the bloat as I have tried it on my current system which has lots of stomach room. Wink  In fact, I am reinstalling it now.  I've been having a few problems with Mint KDE CE 5 version as it reminds me of the scenerio with Kubuntu - more effort is put into Gnome than KDE when it comes to Ubuntu offspring/kids.  Still Mint KDE is a notch above Kubuntu (I tried feisty as well as gutsy versions).  I'm a visual person and am highly attracted to Mint's Gnome and KDE desktop look, but this is just the outside of the automobile, the inside parts I have found to be more easy to use and the layout is much better than Ubuntu.   Just more common sense put into it.  I believe this latest version of Mint KDE CE 5 is in its testing stage and the final release is supposed to come out in the next few months, or so I believe.   I could be wrong there. 

I was able to successfully install the nVidia proprietary drivers in Mint Gnome Elyssa, so this kind of tells me that nVidia is probably working more closely with the Gnome desktop,  (great, I get a nice boot splash that says, "NVIDIA" just before log-in screen to remind me I'm using "their" drivers.  Tongue  ), but it did get rid of a flicker just after logging in.  But with Pardus, I never got the flicker and the fonts are very crisp, much like a Mac desktop.  That tells me something about Pardus, that one doesn't need these third party drivers for a great visual experience, at least not for me. 

The reason I am installing it is because I get to play with some of the oddball applications that are in the ubuntu repositories that aren't in the Pardus repositories.   

Regards,
Lisa Marie
AlanGB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 18:48:46 PM »

Hi all,

I found Pardus via Distrowatch. I had been using Ubuntu 7.04 and was looking to Debian rather than upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04. But as Debian Lenny is still not ready, I tried Pardus. Been using it for about a month. Up until now, I was a Gnome fan but Pardus is easily the best KDE distro. The only change I've made is to the desktop background. Everything else is standard.

Alan.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 22:31:45 PM »

Did you check this screenshot of Gnome under Pardus:
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=1165.msg11062#msg11062

For freedom...
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 03:16:49 AM »

@ Lisa, exactly! GNOME flickers, and it doesn't do fullscreen games well (whenever I tried) etc, I really don't like it under Ubuntu based distros e.g. Mint.

@ AlanGB, wait... you didn't like the picture of the odd hyaena staring at you? How strange...

AlanGB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 19:14:08 PM »

I'm using Tepecik-03 as a desktop background as it's more easy on the eye, even if I don't have a clue what it is... Huh?
linuxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 21:52:12 PM »

I learned of Pardus from a very nice article on FOSSwire.

Registered Linux User # 418555
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 01:39:16 AM »

I'm using Tepecik-03 as a desktop background as it's more easy on the eye, even if I don't have a clue what it is... Huh?

Ha, I tried to find out what that wild flower is by looking in my botanical identification books, but I still do not know.  I think it's a member of the wort family, but not sure.  I would think it is native to Turkey.  I agree, it is easy on the eyes and does't distract from the few icons I have on the desktop. 

Oh, and Mhrmcs, I do understand, I think, what you mean by bloat, that Mint KDE is a layer on top of Mint Gnome Ubuntu based distro - it isn't a dedicated KDE desktop. 

Lisa Marie
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 18:54:50 PM »

@ Lisa,  Undecided By bloat I just mean that KDE come bundled with small apps found under Programs, e.g. Internet, that I never use Smiley

dnelub

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 03:26:32 AM »

well I am not sure but Tepecik should be name of a place in Turkey but not the name of the flower. I think these pictures were taken there.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 18:12:42 PM »

Hi dnelub,

My husband is better at recognising plant families.  He looked at it and said it must be a member of the cruciferous family, with its tiny yellow flowers and the leaves almost look like miniature cabbage or Brussel's Sprout leaves. 

Maybe we should have a contest on who comes closest to guessing this plant?   Cheesy

Lisa Marie
oldog1984

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 17:34:32 PM »

i was on  http://www.raiden.net/  and read a review by steve lake aka Raiden-Staff here is a link to his review  http://forums.raiden.net/viewtopic.php?t=17183
Pepello
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 21:44:53 PM »

I red about it during a "which distro should i try this time?" afternoon spent on DistroWatch Cheesy From all the distroes i tried that day (almost 5 months ago), Pardus was the one and only to win my appreciation Cheesy
rhomp2002

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:24 AM »

Had it for a while.  First read about it on Distrowatch but just assumed that it was pretty much aimed at the Turkish speakers and not the rest of the world except incidentally.  Then I got the emailing from On-Disk writing about how he compared it to his other favorite and Pardus was excellent.  Since I had liked his other favorite, Wolvix, very much I thought I would give it a shot.  Very pleased with it so far.  I have been trying a lot of different distros and have discarded most of them.  I am about to discard another very shortly but it will not be Pardus.  I like that everything seems to work well right from the start and it is very easy to deep it up to date.  Couple of small niggles but nothing deal-breaking about them.  The fact that the time needs to be adjusted by clicking the switch off and back on then apply is just something I am used to doing - never have figured out why it doesn't work but it doesn't take long to get it going.  Had a question about the various forums but that got answered quickly so that is no biggie either.  Other than that it works very well.
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »

I've found Pardus on a quest after a busy and incurious newbie distro which can be fired on the said newbie's desktop and more or less safely forgotten there.

The initial tip has been a favorable post on some other distro's forum.
Glitch

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 20:51:03 PM »

I had PCLinuxOS2007 on my Laptop and happened to try to update it while traveling when they made their big upgrade to 2009.1

There were some problems with the update that may have been related to the unreliable wireless connection I was on at the time.  I decided while I waited for them to come out with a final CD release I'd try some other distros. I think Pardus was the second one I tried and everything worked so I've decided to stay with it.

I'd seen Pardus on Distrowatch and read some good reviews so I was intrigued. Also with the support of the Turkish government I think it will stick around and not fade away like some small distributions have.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: