Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 18:22:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  How did you hear about Pardus?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How did you hear about Pardus?  (Read 16893 times)
verden

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2009, 03:16:40 AM »

I seen Pardus on Distrowatch and read some reviews. Installed it on my laptop and everything worked except for my huawei e169 modem. This is the only issue that will stop me from using Pardus on my laptop.
markcynt

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 03:10:11 AM »

I first heard about Pardus just a few days ago from Softpedia.

The more I use it the more I like it. As a Matter of fact, IMO Pardus is right up there with my other favorites, openSUSE and Mint KDE.

Keep up the good work Pardus team!
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 03:23:36 AM »

I saw the 2009 RC2 on Distrowatch, and some links to reviews on fsdaily.

So when 2009 final came out I decided to try it on my "crash & burn" machine. So far looks nice.
tribunal
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »

I have seen somebody at www.osnews.com told that Pardus 2009 is the best KDE4-distro. And he wasn't alone! 3-4 guests told the same! I'm going to give it a try. I'm russian. There is no russian version right now, but I hope soon there will be one  Roll Eyes
May be I will help to create it.
DarkEra

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2009, 23:11:24 PM »

How did i hear about Pardus..... Well, someone mentioned it, last year i think, on the Dutch Ubuntu forum. So i headed over to Distrowatch to check it out and downloaded the 2007 or 2008 version. Can't remember which one it was but it just wouldn't start up on my laptop. The 2009 version works great by the way.

So yeah, i heard from Pardus on the forum and Distrowatch. Smiley
Jasperodus
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »

Distrowatch - I am a long-term Linux user, and always keep an eye on Distrowatch.

Have used many distributions. Used Pardus last year for a while, and it showed good potential.

I have 64bit now, and that was the thing keeping me away from trying latest Pardus release. However, I couldn't resist and am so impressed with the attention to detail and advances since last release, that I will use it as my only Linux distro (was using fedora 11) while waiting for the 64 edition.

As I said, have used a wide range of distros - but Pardus is the most complete distro I have used.

Well done Pardus team - and thanks.
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 23:16:11 PM »

I initially heard about Pardus on DistroWatch, long before I started writing for Ladislav.  When 2009 came out I decided to download it, try it, and review it.  (Yes, I wrote the review of 2009 for DWW.)  Anyway, I'm still here which speaks volumes.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 23:58:48 PM »

I first heard about Pardus via the PCLinuxOS User Forums; it has a subsection on "Software Discussion." A couple of people mentioned their positive experience with Pardus and noted that it has one of the best KDE 4 implementations they had seen.

I went to DistroWatch and searched for reviews on Pardus. The linked reviews at DW -- and Caitlyn's article in particular -- convinced me to try it myself. Had it not been for DW, I would not likely have installed Pardus.

Pardus has surprised the heck out of me; I hope it will continue to improve and become more widely known. Based on my experience so far, it is on a par with some of the larger distros known for being "newb-friendly," such as Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mint and Mepis.

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
kondorv
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2009, 00:02:22 AM »

Found Pardus on DistroWatch. Nicest KDE distro I've found yet. Very impressive. There are some glitches in Yali that stall an install (such as cursor placement in the user setup window and viewing ReleaseNotes during install (total stall), the partitoner is primitive and allows only limited options and  - the policykit I absolutely despise - but that's me.

However, the KDE presentation is fantastic. So, my complaints are minor and don't amount to much - except the policykit nonsense. I think any English glitches are due to the Turkish base, and they are not that harmful.

So, for what it's worth - the install is quite good in English, with the glitches noted, setup is simple and fast, and apart from chasing user permissions around in circles, everything clicks, the repos are fast, the package manager is very neat but provides no release notes.changelog notes for updates or data - and the KDE desktop is sensational. I cannot emphasize that enough. GRUB managed to  identify  my other partitions on a 2 hd install, with 6 OSes although the GRUB menu got a bit confused with its labeling. The ethernet card was recognized and DHCP setup was a snap.

Installed on a Shuttle Intel 945, Pent D 2.8, 4 gig RAM, ATI HD 3450, DHCP ethernet and a large Samsung lcd panel. The ati mess was installed and everything fired up perfectly.

So, I place Pardus at the top of the KDE distros for the KDE desktop. And that includes Fedora 12 and openSUSE11.2. The ease of install, ease of configuration after install and the Package Manager make it a winner.

But, because of policykit and the Windows "you're an idiot mentality" , I place it right down there near the bottom with Ubuntu in that respect. Thus, Slackware 13 would be a huge winner in that respect. A traditional ( Roll Eyes GNU/Linux.

Again, that's just me - I "use" something other than Ubuntu.

But, don't let my quirks distort what I've just said. Pardus is a truly quality package and the Team's professional effort is obvious. Quality = nothing major broken yet (but it surely will sometime). Lately, the "major" distros (so-called) are usually already  broken at release.

Another observation -  The Government of Turkey deserves a great deal respect for such an effort. I suppose that is apolitical enough.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:45:35 AM by kondorv » Logged
henrikh3
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2009, 11:22:19 AM »

I first read about Pardus 2007 in a Swedish article when they compare it with Ubuntu:
http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.179829/stabil-men-trakig-utmanare-till-ubuntu

But I installed Pardus 2008.1 the first time. My favourite is still Pardus 2008.2
I have tryed many Linux distros.

Pardus are one of the best top five in the world I think.

So I looking forward to the new updated 2009.1 Smiley
Jerky1312

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 02:09:24 AM »

A nice/new review of Pardus has a chance to get on the DIGG front page today, help it along by digging this submission...
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Pardus_Linux_An_open_source_Janissary

It's not my submission by the way. Also, if this gets on the front page, it'll get massive amounts of views.
komboy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »

Distrowatch, in second semester of 2008.
Waited to Jan 2009 to try because Pardus was releasing a new version back then. Pleased with it.

Had to uninstall months later because my computer did not do well with KDE4.
dedebekri
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2011, 17:25:54 PM »

Distrowatch, in second semester of 2008.
Waited to Jan 2009 to try because Pardus was releasing a new version back then. Pleased with it.

Had to uninstall months later because my computer did not do well with KDE4.
Now Pardus with other DE's are being developed; http://comak.comu.edu.tr/nisanbir/
Enlightenment coming soon Wink
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2011, 18:01:10 PM »

Distrowatch, but what got my attention were the reviews -- both written and video -- that praised it as one of the best of 2011.
owiknowi
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »

read about it in 'linux magazine' (netherlands) and searched for enterprise penguins with scroogle and ixquick.
must say i'm impressed: almost all hw works out of the box with pardus kurumsal 2 on a hp dv6 (i3).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: