Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 12:43:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Pisi Find Tool Error List
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Is the Pisi Package Management System meeting your needs?
yes   -6 (100%)
no   -0 (0%)
haven't used it enough   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: Pisi Find Tool Error List  (Read 3893 times)
helios

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2007, 15:03:13 PM »

As promised, here is the beginning of a thread devoted to 404 errors and other errors output by the pisi buid tool.  Will add to them as I find them:

Output directory: /home/helios/Desktop
Program Terminated.
Cannot fetch http://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/murat/freedesktop/compiz/compiz-settings/pspec.xml; HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Please use 'pisi help' for general help.
Use --debug to see a traceback.

he bitterest of tears flow from the Sea of Regret.
TSP
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 15:26:21 PM »

Are you talking about Pisibul? Well for me is great they do what i need; search in all the repopsitores packages, then i compile myself because i could be wrong here but pisibul use bi to make a pisi and i think em is much better because they try to build all the packages needed to run what you want..
Anyway i dont have much luck buildiing pisi's from the contrib repo (mplayer is always in turkish, gnomebaker fails, vlc fails, etc) but i hope  dev's con improv this in the future or if someone can write a howto make a pisi users liike me, we can help.

cheers!
independence

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 14:48:43 PM »

Guichan

Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 17:10:56 PM »

Please do not search in the playground, it is not repository and not for users! It's normal that you may not be able to find an url and build package..
independence

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 19:39:29 PM »

Quote from: "Eren.Turkay"
Please do not search in the playground, it is not repository and not for users! It's normal that you may not be able to find an url and build package..

Ok, thank you for that Information. Is there a chance of guichan comeing into the repository?
helios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 04:15:08 AM »

I am attempting to help this distro grow by spreading the word and bringing more users in, especially new users.  Sure, you and I can build from source...but new users have enough trouble in synaptic or apt-get.  Imagine their reaction when they are told something like was just told in this thread.  They wouldn't mess with it.

I realize this distro is relatively new, and from what I have discovered in the past two weeks, it is rock solid and stable...but the package management needs to improve.  If the playground is not a good place from which to build pisi packages, then close it off to everyone but developers....THEN post some solid instructions on how to download a package and build a pisi file on the local computer. This would solve alot of problems.  It isn't just playground that is giving 404 errors...there have been dozens in the past week.  I've just been traveling with my job and havent had a chance to sit down and post them all.

thanks for a great distro.  I am hoping we can gain new users quickly.

helios

Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:53:48 AM »

Pisibul is for advanced users only, the package management system of Pardus is one of the easiest to use.
To my opinion the contrib and playground directory shouldn't be closed to make Pardus a sort of Linux for dummies distro.

Problem is that most some starting users do not just stick to the Pisi, but that is their own responsibility.

For Pisi go to Pardus > Tamsa > System and choose for the package management system

So starting Pardus users: use Pisi and forget Pisibul for a while (unless you know what you are doing)

This  threadd only illustrates one thing: Pisi should be more findable in the launchmenu...

For freedom...
helios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:58:43 PM »

you make good points...let's just hope we can get some of the needed and missing packages in the repo's soon...and maybe a tutorial on how to download a  source package and pisi-fy it.

helios

Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 13:49:40 PM »

When a package has been proven to be completely safe and stable after thoroughly being tested, it will be moved to the official Pisi repository.
This way we keep our system as stable as possible.
I don't think its a good idea to make a tutorial on how to install packages which can make your system unstable.
Pardus is an organised distro, which also means that the developers guard that your home system will be a safe and stable environment to work. You get support with the tested programs when there is a problem.  This has as disadvantage that it is not easy to load your computer with tons of all sorts of software, but the big advantage is that it works. And for each task you can think of there is a program in the Pisi repository.
When you know what you are doing (as an advanced user), and when you want to test software which has not yet been released on Pardus, then you can try to get it with Pisibul (but there is no warranty or support (with bug reports), no updates etc).

For freedom...
helios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 02:38:36 AM »

Thanks Willem...that clears up much and after giving it some thought, I agree with both the philosophy AND the intention.  I am here at pardus for one reason,  I want to help promote Pardus, especially to the New Linux User. Many here would disagree that Pardus is the distro for that purpose, and as it exists right now, I would agree with that as well. BUT...I believe I see extremely good things happening here, so here I will stay.  I am always here with the Pardus forums page open (when i am home at any rate) or can be reached at my fourm email addy or at lobby4linux.com via the contact us link.

I AM us.

8-)

h

Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:41:55 AM »

And I am very happy you have you here. I visit your blog regularly!

For freedom...
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 20:33:31 PM »

hello all

I am a new convert from Ubuntu and I love pardus so far.  I only wish there was a download mirror in NZ

I have one concern with PiSi and that is that while my system is in english PiSi package selection is in what I guess is turkish.  I have seen screenshots of the package selection in english.

How do I fix this

This distro even auto mounts my 2ng gen ipod nano and no other does that so this language thing really is the only problem I have.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 20:45:41 PM »

Hi!
There is already a mirror in Holland so far, and you can always put up one in NZ! Pardus just still so new that there are not many mirrors yet, but that can change easily! With your help, maybe?
A start for setting up a mirror could be here:
http://www.wlug.org.nz/NewZealandLinuxMirrors

Open the console, type:
sudo pisi rebuild-db
and all will be in English...

Nice to have you here...

For freedom...
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 21:27:53 PM »

wow thanks for the quick reply  Cheesy

I will see if I can get them to host this distro (them being from your link).  I will be reccomending pardus to to people I know and to the tertiary school I used to work for
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:12:22 AM »

That didn't work, the rebuild[/img]
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: