Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 01:55:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  installed Pardus 2k7.1: some important questions!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: installed Pardus 2k7.1: some important questions!  (Read 2269 times)
stefan1975

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:14:48 AM »

Hello,

i recently switched my home pc from MEPIS 6.5 to pardus 2007 and have some questions about this otherwise excellent distro. If anyone can help that would be just great.

1) I really like the OpenSuse KICKOFF menu, but compared to my "tiny" 3/4 sized taskbar it is HUGE. is there any way to downsize the kickoff menu? i prefer NOT to switch back to the classic menu.

2) when I install Beryl from the WIKI howto, is this just a "one-time-event" or will it be added to and updated by the package manager just like it would with apt-get? Is there already a way to install beryl 0.2.0?

3) I use pardus for my home desktop but it looks really promising. For my Work desktop I currently use Opensuse 10.2 for its good Windows integration. Can Pardus replace this as well, are there professional tools available, ie: citrix ica 10, AD integration, wireshark, kwallet, etc.? I really prefer to install software to package managers channels next to compiling it myself.

*THANKS*) Can anyone explain how the pardus init system compares to feisty's upstart in terms of speed and functionality?

*THANKS*) is it correct the there are hardly any updates for pardus? if this means that there are no problems that is allright, but for opensuse and ubuntu I almost get daily updates and for pardus none after the first batch right after install

*THANKS*) is there an ETA for pardus 2007.1? How can I upgrade to this version or would it be better to just do a clean install?

7) can i run beryl on native nvidia without aiglx or glx. i ran it this way on opensuse and i have a feeling it was somewhat faster.

answers to any or all of these questions would be appreciated.
keep up the good work on this excellent distro.

Stefan.
xva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 14:00:26 PM »

1) if you mean you want the normal kickoff just enter "kaptan" in the console and choose what you want

6) I read on distrowatch that the 2007.1 is scheduled for the 15th of march

ciao
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 15:46:29 PM »

3) rdp is known as rdesktop and is in the standard repo.

4) See http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/projeler/comar/SpeedingUpLinuxWithPardus.html

5) Updates come in portions once in a couple of weeks.

6) Just upgrading from Pardus 2007 will get you to 2007.1, so you won't need a clean install.

Jan.
stefan1975

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »

anyone with some more information?

I like parsus so far but the documentation/information/forum activity is somewhat sparse. I like the fact that it "just works" but am also one who likes to play around a bit (on the CLI).

I'm also trying out sabayon 3.3 at the moment and that seems okay too, although imho the update/compile/package software is sooooooooo slow and cumbersome that i probably won't stick with it, it takes Ages to check dependencies en install/upgrade packages on sabayon.
xva

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 15:01:32 PM »

pardus 2007.1 is out, try it and I'm sure you'll not go back to other distros :wink:
stefan1975

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 15:25:31 PM »

Quote from: "xva"
pardus 2007.1 is out, try it and I'm sure you'll not go back to other distros :wink:

thanks for your reply! however I am already running pardus 2007.1 and this does not answer any of my currently open questions.

As i stated before I am quite content with pardus and 2007.1 does not change this (although it is not a HUGE improvement over 2007, it is just as stable and fast for me).

The only things I am missing are my open questions and maybe more packages/configuration. The latest and greatest binary video drivers are already installed, it would be nice to have beryl 0.2.0 available from the configuration, etc.
Klenje
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 18:52:59 PM »

1) I guess you should check Suse documentation, since they created it
3) As long as beryl it's in the unofficial repositories it won't update automatically. but it's a quite easy operation nevertheless.
For the use of beryl without aiglx or xgl, it's not possible. I think Suse does all the necessary configuration for aiglx automatically, so the user thinks it doesn't need anything
stefan1975

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 20:15:51 PM »

Quote from: "Klenje"
1) I guess you should check Suse documentation, since they created it
3) As long as beryl it's in the unofficial repositories it won't update automatically. but it's a quite easy operation nevertheless.
For the use of beryl without aiglx or xgl, it's not possible. I think Suse does all the necessary configuration for aiglx automatically, so the user thinks it doesn't need anything

thanks. I can't find anything related to the kickoff size in any documentation, however on all distro's it is Way too big in 1024x768 (half the screensize)

it really should be possible to run beryl without aiglx/xgl:
http://en.opensuse.org/Beryl#Beryl_with_nVidia_drivers_-_no_Xgl.2FAIGLX

i will try the nvidia-xconfig commands myself and make beryl from svn wuthout aiglx and report back then.
Klenje
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 21:28:37 PM »

I didn't know you could use beryl without aiglx... I don't own a Nvidia, sorry  :wink:
But you shouldn't have many problems, since nvidia drivers does all the work... so if you install it right, it should work  Cheesy
stefan1975

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 22:19:35 PM »

Quote from: "Klenje"
I didn't know you could use beryl without aiglx... I don't own a Nvidia, sorry  :wink:
But you shouldn't have many problems, since nvidia drivers does all the work... so if you install it right, it should work  Cheesy

actually it works perfectly without aiglx/xgl. It just SUCKS that i have to build beryl from svn source. Are there any plans on integrating beryl into pardus and creating menu items for it?

it really works great with nvidia, way better than with ati/xgl/aiglx. i just build it with a "makeall"  and gave these commands:

nvidia-xconfig --composite
nvidia-xconfig --allow-glx-with-composite
nvidia-xconfig --render-accel
nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals

and added an:
Option "NoLogo" "True"
to xorg.conf to get rid of the irritating startup logo

then just:
<ctrl><alt><backspace>
$beryl-manager

and we're in business, on my geforce4 6200 it works like a charm. with xgl it gives me a load of +3, now it is just 0.48

if anyone can help me with the rest of the q's that would be great.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: