Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:16:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Problem accessing Windows partition since upgrade to 2007.1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem accessing Windows partition since upgrade to 2007.1  (Read 4803 times)
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2007, 21:45:01 PM »

Argh! Since I upgraded to Pardus 2007.1 this afternoon I can't access my Windows harddisks anymore! when I try I get an error "Permissions denied"...

What to do now?
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 22:56:38 PM »

maybe this can help you

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/viewtopic.php?t=650&highlight=windows

The world is not digital - the world is an analog swoosh
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 13:32:05 PM »

That seems to be the solution, however I don't know what I have to change in the file /etc/fstab. I have opened the Konsole and entered sudo kwrite, and then the root password. In kWrite I have opened the file /etc/fstab. It looks like this:

Code:
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#
#   <fs>             <mountpoint>     <type>    <opts>               <dump/pass>
/dev/sda6   none                 swap      sw                   0 0
/dev/sda5   /                    ext3      noatime              0 0
none        /proc                proc      nosuid,noexec        0 0
none        /dev/shm             tmpfs     nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
/dev/sda1   /mnt/sda1            vfat      quiet,shortname=mixed,dmask=007,fmask=117,utf8,gid=6 0 0
/dev/sda2   /mnt/sda2            ntfs-3g   dmask=007,fmask=117,locale=tr_TR.UTF-8,gid=6 0 0
/dev/sda3   /mnt/sda3            ntfs-3g   dmask=007,fmask=117,locale=tr_TR.UTF-8,gid=6 0 0

sda1 is a small Windows recovery partition. I have read/write acces to this.
sda2 and sda3 are my Windows partition and my Data partition, I have no read/write access to them Sad

What do I have to change in this file?
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 16:49:12 PM »

Hey,

The reason why you do have read/write access to the sda1 partition is because it's a FAT32 partition. The other two are NTFS partitions. These can usually not be accessed directly from linux (at least not for writing). Pardus uses FUSE to access those partitions.

So probably the reason that you are having these problems is due to problems with the fuse module.

To check if this module is running open a terminal, become root (using the su command) and then type the following command:

Code:
lsmod | grep fuse

If it returns no output your fuse module isn't being loaded. You can then load it using this command(make sure you are still root when executing this command):

Code:
modprobe lsmod

The try to mount the partition again using the mount command (make sure it's unmounted before you use the mount command).

Regards,

Ben
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 16:58:04 PM »

hm. I tried both commands, but no success:

when I enter "lsmod | grep fuse" nothing happens
when I enter "modprobe lsmod" I get the message "FATAL: Module lsmod not found."
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 17:07:53 PM »

Sorry,

Small mistake in the second command. It should be :

Code:
modprobe fuse

Regards,

Ben
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 18:36:07 PM »

ai, same problem:
"FATAL: Module fuse not found."

I have opened the terminal, and entered "su -" and after that the root password. Then I entered "modprobe fuse". Am I not doing something stupid wrong?
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 19:06:26 PM »

No, I don't think you are doing it wrong, but the fact that the module loader isn't able to find the module is also the reason why it can't mount the ntfs partitions. (Fuse is needed to mount those partitions, so if fuse is not 'there' the system won't be able to mount the partitions)

So what you could try is looking for fuse in the package manager and see if it is installed. If there is no package called fuse (not in the installed packages section, nor in the new packages section) it's a problem in the repositories. Since I'm not part of the dev team I won't be able help you any further. If, however, fuse can be found in one of the repositories you should install it (if it's not installed already) or you could try re-installing the package. The same goes for the ntfs_3g package, which brings ntfs support to fuse.

Regards,

Ben
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 19:23:45 PM »

both fuse and ntfs_3g where already installed. I deinstalled and installed them again. Which was a bad idea. Pardus is completely messed up now and I can't startup pardus any longer  Sad

I guess I have to do a fresh install of Pardus...
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 19:40:42 PM »

Sorry for that, didn't expect that this would happen. Just read a thread about someone having the same kind of problems with removing a package and completely messing up his system, this probably something the developers should start working on very soon.

Having said that I'd first of all recommend creating a backup before you start a new install. Probably only some packages (and in the worst case your kernel) disappeared which caused the system not to boot. Most of the time the home folders are not being touched. So you are still able to create a backup using a livecd. (to backup make sure you have some kind of storage medium to which you can write the files, online or a partition).

Something else you could try (without re-installing) is using the livecd and then change the root to your partition. You can do this by becoming root on the livecd and then (in a terminal):

Code:
chroot /dev/sda5

Now you are in the system and maybe (if your lucky and the re-installing didn't destroy to much) you could now use pisi to install the missing packages. For help on using pisi from the command line type:

Code:
pisi --help

I hope this still helps,

Regards and good luck,

Ben
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 21:07:06 PM »

Ben, using the Live CD was a very good idea! I had read/write access to both installed pardus partition and my windows partitions, so I have directly made a backup from my pardus home directory Smiley

I tried chroot /dev/sda5 but got an error message that sda5 does not exist (though it absolutely did exist)

I think the easiest way is just to reinstall pardus tomorrow. That will take an hour or so, but I'm rather experienced with installing pardus - last few weeks I did it about 8 times on two different computers... Bit by bit I get a little tired of coming across so many bugs, but luckily I know better and better what I must do NOT to prevent nasty situations Cheesy
I hope the developers will manage to fix the important bugs soon - without that Pardus is the best Linux Distro I have seen.
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 21:21:32 PM »

Sorry for that,

Again I made a small mistake in the commands for you to type. It should be chroot /media/sda5 or some other point where pardus  is mounted.

So if you could try again if you like.

Regards,

Ben
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 21:41:03 PM »

hi joske,

as i know ntfs access is still in BETA for LINUX.

i killed a ntfs parition by "playing a lot with different linux installtions"

what do you think about this:

keep your ntfs patition small and install only windows programms there; and dont mount this partition with linux . make a larger fat32 partition and use this fore "shared" files.

.. or save your "shared" files on linux partition. there is a software for windows to acces to linux partition. i am not shure ext2 or etxt3 , and i am not shure if this program a official stable (not beta).

do you need windows?

i please mebers in his forum to correct me immediately if i am wrong!!!

benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 22:01:38 PM »

It is indeed possible to access an ext3 partition from windows and write to it:

http://www.fs-driver.org

It works quite well here (triple boot system 2x linux and 1x windows xp) But since NTFS write is also working quite well from pardus (still using 2007, since 2007.1, was out the day I installed 2007).

Also something I didn't yet tell you, was that it is likely that ntfs write support is going to work again when you re-install since only 1 kernel will be installed. I think the problem with your current pardus installation is that the pardus kernel got updated when you upgraded to 2007.1 and that the fuse module package didn't get an update for the new kernel, usually that is cause of kernel modules that don't get loaded. So when you rebooted, you booted into the new kernel that didn't have the fuse module. Since only the old kernel had one.

But that's just my theory about your upgrade.

Regards,

Ben
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 22:05:57 PM »

after searching in wikipdia i read:

ntfs r/w is save since kernel 2.6.15

and ntfs-3g is better!?

so far so good; i think it would not be amiss to organize the partitions a way without mixed acces to all existing partitions.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: