Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:59:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Problem accessing Windows partition since upgrade to 2007.1
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem accessing Windows partition since upgrade to 2007.1  (Read 4791 times)
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 22:20:31 PM »

as far as i know it's still quite experimental and doesn't work completely, here's a quote from a comment on tweakers.net when the 2.6.15 kernel was released (directly quoted from the changelog of the kernel:

NTFS write support: NTFS finally implements write support so "vim /ntfs/foo.txt" works. You can write(2) to a file even beyond the end of the existing file. Resident non-resident files and are supported. Sparse files can also be written and holes will be filed appropriately. truncate(2), ftruncate(2) and open(2) with O_TRUNC flag also works. There're some limitations with heavily fragmented files which you won't be allowed to change. Also, notice that creation/deletion of files and directories is still not supported and mmap(2) based writes is still not complete

Regards,

Ben
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »

@Bahri16
that is a good idea, to make my data partition fat32 instead of ntfs. I only don't know how to do it safely: The folder "My Documents" in Windows points to this partition. Maybe when I start Pardus, copy the content of my data-partition somewhere else, reformat it to fat32 and place the content back Windows doesn't cause troubles because of the changed disk - but I'm not sure...

And yes, I need Windows and always will need it in the future. I develop sofware, currently for Windows but I want to go cross-platform. So at least I need Windows to compile and test my programs for Windows. I hope however that Pardus can become my main Operating System.

@Ben
I tried also "chroot /media/sda5" but the same error. I have now re-installed Pardus and everything is working fine.

The idea to use www.fs-driver.org to access my ext3 partition is also a very nice idea. I didn't knew such a program existed. When Pardus has become my main OS, this may be the best solution!

I don't think it is the new kernel causing it, because last weeks pardus 2007 automatically upgraded to a newer kernel (I could see that from an added line in Grub), and still everything worked fine.

thanks for all your ideas and help guys!
Jos
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »

Ben, I think you actually are right about the kernel causing the ntfs-access problems. After a restart Pardus was upgraded to a newer kernel. And the access to my WIndows partitions was gone... I opened the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, and I saw that still the old kernel was started up instead of the newest. So I changed that, and after the next restart I could access my Windows partitions again  Cheesy
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 19:42:58 PM »

Quote from: "joske"
@Bahri16
that is a good idea, to make my data partition fat32 instead of ntfs. I only don't know how to do it safely: The folder "My Documents" in Windows points to this partition. Maybe when I start Pardus, copy the content of my data-partition somewhere else, reformat it to fat32 and place the content back Windows doesn't cause troubles because of the changed disk - but I'm not sure...

hhm in your case ; you sayed you are seriously working with your computer; i would do the "cash-method" and buy a second harddisk if it is possible.
or is it a laptop?

really if datas are really important  i would do so! and not making experiments with things wich "sould be save". ok maybee geeks really know what they are doing - i did not - and it seems that you are in the same situation.

The world is not digital - the world is an analog swoosh
joske
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 21:03:38 PM »

Maybe I will do that some day, or maybe I can buy an external harddisk. I have a pretty new Packard Bell desktop computer, no laptop.

and for now: I make backups and copies soooo often... Smiley
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 21:07:06 PM »

... soo often i have lost data (i am an optimist) Cool

The world is not digital - the world is an analog swoosh
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: