Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:50:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Setting up an recommended list for hardware for Pardus Linux
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Setting up an recommended list for hardware for Pardus Linux  (Read 2102 times)
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2007, 21:58:00 PM »

Hi all, why wait for dell to set up a laptop for Lunux.
I would like to make a sub website on Pardus-linux.nl on which we can place some sort of search engine, on which you can seach which hardware is fully compatible with Pardus. This way you can search what hardware to buy, and which not to buy.
This way we can 'certify' hardware for Pardus and not visa versa.

Who wants to help? I am looking for people to run this daring project with.
We have to search for a suiting script on http://www.hotscripts.com
Make a nice layout, after which we can all add our working hardware to the database.

For freedom...
lzfy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 20:07:19 PM »

Goed idee  Smiley
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 22:14:40 PM »

Or you should develop some kind client that detects which hardware is present and if there are any comments from the user. Then when all hardware is detected and all comments are placed it sends its data to an online hardware database. Then you write a php frontend to access all the hardware compatibility info.

The client which I'm talking about can probably be written in python. The only problem is that I know some python basics but not enough to write such a client. Maybe one of the devs could help, since it could benefit the community as a whole.

Another advantage (I just came up with this one) of this method is that you make it impossible for spammers to abuse the input system, since they are not able to post.

Regards,

Ben

ps. I know Ubuntu allready has such a client, although the php frontend part is a new idea.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 22:28:15 PM »

But this way, you can't look for information when you want to buy a new piece of hardware.
If I would like to buy for eg a new videocard, its difficult to find out which one is the best. We should have a system with which users can add and rate the hardware they use so anybody can see how their hardware is rated for Pardus, the automatich recognition is another nice feature.

For freedom...
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 23:42:30 PM »

Maybe this thought is rather simple, but you could replace or add a rating system to the client, so people can rate their hardware. Also, if you want to buy new hardware you will probably base (=baseren, weet niet of dit een goede engelse zin is) your choice on experiences from others who already own the piece of hardware you are going to buy, so what I'm trying to say is that when this database fills up you will have some kind reference when you have to buy new hardware.

I will send you a simple mockup of what I mean, since the image adder doesn't support pdf.

Regards,

Ben
Klenje
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 18:53:47 PM »

well, but Pardus already has a feedback system, which also send information on hardware...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: