Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 16:43:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  packages?and a command to access desktop from a failed login
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: packages?and a command to access desktop from a failed login  (Read 1962 times)
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:28:32 AM »

HELLO ALL-- PARDUS IS AWSOMELY AWSOME-AN OS TOSSED DOWN TO US FROM THE GODS- I'M VERY NEW TO LINUX.IM RUNNING AN ASUS 570SLI-DLX/AMD64ATHLON64X2DC5200/2GIGS RAM/2 NV 7300GT.           I USE MY PC FOR GAMING,GOOGLE SEARCHES,LISTEN TO SOME MUSIC.AND IN BETWEEN TIMES I EXPLORE AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND AND MODIFY MY RUNNING SYSTEM TO BETTER SERVE ME.-----------??what packages do i need to install to properly upgrade my pardus 2007,,including installing games like call of duty[wine???].  which nv kernel,glx, and nv tools do i install? new ,old? ---after installing the wrong packages [i assume] and i reboot,,,, i get a text only  logon screen and when i enter user name and password i still get the same logon text screen with the konquer command $ in red,,,is there a command i can enter so that i can access my desktop ..
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 06:46:45 AM »

Hi!
Why all the capital? I surely can understand your enthusiams as pardus is the coolest OS at the moment.
Games like Call of duty can be run with Wine/ Cedega or crossover office 6. But there are already lots of games for Linux, most are free and are in the repository, like Open Arena or Nexiuz which are excellent FPS's. When you can only boot in the text modus, your videocard is probably not recognised.
Which one do you have?

For freedom...
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »

WILLEM!!!!!!sry  4 the capitals.i'm very new to this willem,pls bare w/ me. i have 2 nv 7300gt by evga..  they are 500mb each but i really think they are 250 and it uses another 250 from a memory cache. im now finishing loading new packages all but the nv tools,glx,nv kernel.
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »

for my nvidia 7300gt, i upgraded using the regular [not new or old] nvidia kernel,nvidia glx,and nvidia tools---followed by the nvidia xconfig method described here  http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/viewtopic.php?t=2  results?javascript:emoticon(':twisted:') a crispy clear display. but i dont see the nvidia console to configure sli? or to even see if both video cards are active. my screen is at 1280x1024 and i'm "only" getting refresh rates options of 50 and 54? its at 50 right now. is this cool?` ------------ Is there a command or list of commands that i should consider typing in when a login fails [as i mentioned in my first post] instesd of just reinstalling pardus all over again?? --------------------------- its the only know how i knowjavascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »

Good to heart!!
Have you already tried to type in the console:
nvidia-settings

For freedom...
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:08:41 PM »

that"s it....  i typed nvidia-settings in run command and out came nvidia x server settings. beautiful.  one video card is labled gpu 0 and the other card is gpu 1. great thanks willem/,,,,,nexuiz and open arena are very good games,i got mauled but very good games.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: