Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:21:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Hp Laserjet 1018s
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hp Laserjet 1018s  (Read 2694 times)
Talisien
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:52:53 AM »

Hello,

does anybody know how to install Hp Laserjet 1018s under Pardus?
1 tried with Tasma under KDE. KDE found the driver foomatics and did install. Sending test or other things to the printer caused nothing.

What can I do?

By the way connection is USB.

If You help me please respect I'am very new with Linux, so I need very large and simple help to understand.

Thanks
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:18:08 AM »

Hey,

Just did a little research on this printer and found that it is only supported by the foo2zjs driver. So what you could do is check if this package is installed. You can do that using pisi. Here are some steps:

1. Start pisi (the cat icon in your system tray)
2. Then go to the installed packages tab
3. search for the foo2zjs package.

If it doesn't find the package it is probably not installed. So to see if it's available, look in the available packages part.

If it's not available there eiter, you should add the svn repository, since it's probably available there. To add the repository to your repository list, do the following:

1. open a terminal (konsole for example)
2. enter the following command:

Code:
sudo pisi ar contrib http://svn.pardus.org.tr/contrib/pisi-index.xml.bz2 -y

3. Then enter the following command, to install foo2zjs:

Code:
sudo pisi em foo2zjs

Now reconfigure your printer to use the foo2zjs driver. You can do that using tasma.

Regards,

Ben
Talisien
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 07:45:05 AM »

Thanks for Your help. The driver was allready installed. I will try to configure the printer again on weekend and see if it functions after my work.

I guess it could probably be a problem of USB- connection. No data seems to reach the printer. I will see.

greatings

By the way sorry for my bad english writing, make a lot of misstakes. I am able to speak English better then writing it
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »

Hey,

I'm on pardus now and found that you should also be able to access cups through the web interface (wasn't on pardus when writing my last post, so wasn't sure if it was possible). So what you could try is sending a print job to the printer, then open a browser and type :

Code:
localhost:631

in the adress bar. Then click the printer tab and see if it gives any errors there. That's probably the easiest way to check if any problems occur.

Regards,

Ben
Talisien
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »

Hello Ben,

proofed your tip with an other printer at my work. I will see if it funktions after work at the weekend with my homeprinter.

Someone I wrote that printers who funktion with Mac do also work with Linux. Is that rigth? Can I hope...?

Greatings

Wolfgang
zloby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 13:54:53 PM »

Hi Talisien

pls check those pages: http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1018 and
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/CUPSDocumentation

it seems that you need only ppd file which is provided with foo2jzs and inside your windows driver on CD.
If your PC see your printer on USB connection, you must provide new (correct) PPD file (just copy PPD file to correct location) and withn printer configuration dialog point to new ppd file.
Talisien
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 15:32:14 PM »

Hi zloby,

many thanks seems this could work, will proof it.
zloby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 23:57:20 PM »

just a small add-on to my previous post:

correct location is /etc/cups/ppd (at least there is ppd for my brother hl-2032)
Talisien
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 13:55:08 PM »

Finally the printer works now. Installed everything then discribed by Ben and zloby.

One trick in addition:

You have to open console and send

lp /lib/firmware/sihp1018.dl to the printer. It makes noise as if it is going to print. Since that time it will print everything till it is turned off. Then you have to start procedure again.

Thanks to all for their help

Wolfgang
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: