Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:59:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Problem with grub Pardus
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem with grub Pardus  (Read 2494 times)
mistermaarten

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2007, 09:24:48 AM »

hi there!

I always used Windows XP on my PC. But it went wrong so much times, that I though: give Linux a chance. So I did. I browsed through the several distro's and choice Pardus to install (also because it's a good distro if you are used to XP). The installating went perfect, nothing wrong.

But the grub, the bootloader, gives problems. I get a message when the grub starts up:
error 17: cannot use mounted partition.

The only luck for me then was, that XP still started (otherwise I did'nt had a OS). I searched with google for this problem, till I found a solution on this forum (the Dutch part, I am Dutch too). So I thought my problems were over. I tried the solution, but it didn't work.
The solution was: start Pardus up with the live cd. Then you enter the root harddrive of pardus and search for the file boot.conf in the boot map. Within this document, everything what has to do with linux, you have to change hd(1,1) into (hd1,0). And in splashimage I had to change hd(0,0) into hd(1,0). That last change was needed because the grub looks really nasty with all kind of vertical stripes through the screen.

Really nice to have such a solution. The only problem the Pardus live cd gave me, that it refused to save the chances in the file I made.
As a second solution, I found commands that I had to type in the terminal. This were the commands:
sudo su
grub
root grub (hd0,3)
setup (hd0)
quit

but also this didn't work. after sudo su the pardus live cd asked for a password. It wasn't 'guest' of 'root', or even my own rootpassword of my pardus installation. No solution here then.

Now my question to you (I ask this in the English part of the forum, in hope of more (usefull) reactions): how can I make the grub load pardus (and windows if I like) correctly?
Tiedemann

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 00:40:57 AM »

Don't know for certain, but the user and root password is probably "uludag".

FWIW I had the same problem after installing Pardus to a second hard drive and electing to put the bootloader on the MBR of hda, which I solved using a KateOS LiveCD.

My guess is that you would have to open up a terminal,
cd /mnt/hdb1/boot/grub/
sudo cp grub.conf grub.conf.original
kdesu kate grub.conf
and, as you suggest, change (hd0,0) to (hd1,0) where it refers to splashimage and throughout the section headed title Pardus 2007.1 Felis chaus.

My Windows partition settings were actually set correctly, so yours should presumably read:
title Windows (ntfs) - hda1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
or
title Windows (fat32) - hda1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Windows (ntfs) - hda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

if there's a "Windows restoration" partition.
mistermaarten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 15:54:05 PM »

thanks for the reply.
But I get a message if I want to change the boot file (not in the terminal, with the hd(1.0) thing) that he doesn't allow to save. He doesn't ask for a root user... but how can I log into a rootuser with a Pardus live CD? If i choice 'use other account', I can use root YV1 (or something like that) and about of 8 other accounts with root in it. But if I change the account to root, I get the kernel.

In the kernel (or terminal) the files are not found (cd /mnt/hdb1/boot/grub/). Btw on my keyboard is with the live cd pardus the stripe key (next to the zero -) the / and the / key is the stripe (-). really strange. I was able to get into a kernel with grub, by typing 'grub'. Don't know if that will help?! But anyway, which steps do I have to make to fix this? And after this installing the vga and network drivers... pfff, harder then I thought  :roll:
Tiedemann

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 18:39:04 PM »

In the terminal the files are not found (cd /mnt/hdb1/boot/grub/)

In which case it sounds as if hdb1 wasn't automatically mounted by the LiveCD. Open up a terminal (Alt+F2, "konsole") and type
su root ("uludag")
mount /mnt/hdb1
cd /mnt/hdb1/boot/grub/
kate grub.conf

Failing that, you could always burn a DamnSmallLinux iso (they're not much bigger than 50MB), boot into it, open "ATerminal", and type in this sequence of commands;
sudo su (no password required)
mount /mnt/hdb1
cd /mnt/hdb1/boot/grub/
beaver grub.conf
Having made the changes you can then right-click the wallpaper to reboot into Pardus.

It has to be said, Pardus is a generally well put-together distribution, so don't let this experience put you off from using Linux (and in any event, Ubuntu Feisty's being released at the end of the month :wink:).
mistermaarten

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 18:50:59 PM »

I understand what you are saying. Pardus on the live cd looks really nice to. But if I see all solutions miserably failing in a terminal, I feel like a donkey. Don't know what to do, don't know what I can do, asking myself if I ever get the hang of this all...?! But I believe that once you get the hang of it/Linux/Pardus, it's 1 milion times better then Windows. But thats the thing with Windows, why Microsoft is so big: every donkey can use it (and if it fails, reinstall the donkey).
Tiedemann

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 19:27:15 PM »

Quote from: "mistermaarten"
I understand what you are saying. Pardus on the live cd looks really nice to. But if I see all solutions miserably failing in a terminal, I feel like a donkey. Don't know what to do, don't know what I can do, asking myself if I ever get the hang of this all...?! But I believe that once you get the hang of it/Linux/Pardus, it's 1 milion times better then Windows. But thats the thing with Windows, why Microsoft is so big: every donkey can use it (and if it fails, reinstall the donkey).

Send a Private Message to murat,  he should be able to sort something out such that you can at least boot back into XP.

To be fair, it's only relatively recently that Pardus has been aimed at general users as opposed to hobbyists, though that's no excuse for not being able to boot into a perfectly straightforward hardware configuration.
mistermaarten

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 19:32:52 PM »

XP boots just fine, only Pardus won't start (gives a error 17: cannot mount partition). The grub works for so far, that I get vertical stripes in the screen and that I can start XP.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: