Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 23:57:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  grub error after install
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: grub error after install  (Read 2458 times)
terrannz

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:21:59 AM »

I have just installed pardus again and when i try to load it from grub i get an error
Code:
Error 15: File not found

I try from a different drive and I get

Code:
Error 22

I have three drives and i chose to install the boot loader to one other than my primary drive and pardus is installed to my 3rd drive
pclb
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 20:10:23 PM »

Quote from: terrannz
I have just installed pardus again and when i try to load it from grub i get an error
Code:
Error 15: File not found

I try from a different drive and I get

Code:
Error 22

I have three drives and i chose to install the boot loader to one other than my primary drive and pardus is installed to my 3rd drive

This looks like a standard Grub and bootloader problem, not specific to Pardus.

These are Grub Stage 2.0 error codes.
Your error codes::

15 : File not found
    This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found, but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.

22 : No such partition
    This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected disk.

Suggest that the bootloader text in Pardus points to the wrong filename, and when you attempt from another partition, the partition isn't mounted or is also misnamed.  It seems your boot is pointing to files and partitions that do not exist.

I would first find out your dev/ list and make sure that the Grub files are properly named in /boot.

This is likely no more than the difference between /hdb1 and /hdb2 in your boot text.
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 02:47:38 AM »

by the explanation then I would ignore error 22 from a previous install.

How do i fix the error 15?  where is the file I edit and what is it called?
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 06:02:51 AM »

Does anybody know or know of another bootloader I can find to install and how to do it?
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 20:06:28 PM »

Because you have multiple drives on your system,  make sure your BIOS is set up to boot from the drive you installed grub on.  If that is set correctly,  the next thing to try is to boot from a live cd and mount the drive that you installed Pardus on.  Go to /boot/grub/grub.conf and edit the file so that the line for each distro you have points to the correct drive for each distro.  For instance,  if Pardus is installed on your third hard drive,  make sure the line in the grub.conf file points to the root partition of the third drive (root=/dev/hdc1).  Because you have other distros,  you should also have those listed in the grub.conf file.  Those distros also have to have the proper root partition for each distro set in the grub.conf file in order for them to be booted.  Good luck!
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 01:44:28 AM »

Thanks for that.  I'll give it a try
Cancel
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 04:19:16 AM »

I had the exact same problem you are describing terrannz. I installed Pardus on my third hard drive and installed grub into the root of Pardus. Then I added the Pardus grub entry into my main linux grub config file. When I rebooted and selected Pardus, the same error appeared. What I had to do was mount the Pardus partition from my main linux, then edit the Pardus grub entry. For some reason Pardus lists the root partition as being installed on the first hard drive, even if it is the third. Just edit the grub entry to point to where Pardus is actually installed.
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »

well my problem now is that I don't have another distro installed and I'm trying to find a live CD that'll give me drive access
msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 14:09:37 PM »

If you're looking for a live cd,  I've had good results from both Pardus and Knoppix,  but you'll have to download the iso and burn the disc in order to use it.  That may take more time and trouble than its worth.

With my last post,  I had assumed that because you had other drives and chose to install Pardus on your third hard drive,  you also had other distros.  Sorry about that.  If you have't been able to use your system since reinstalling Pardus,  why not change the way you have it set up?  You could reinstall Pardus on any one of your drives and place grub on the MBR of the same drive (which Pardus seems to default to).  Then you could choose to boot from that drive in the system BIOS.  Are you trying to save files on the other two drives?  Or did you choose to install on the third drive because of its size or speed?  The point is,  it might be quicker and less bother to reinstall in a more Pardus-friendly way.  Changing your system to fit Pardus might be easier and less time consuming than editing the grub.conf file.  Good luck with whatever way you choose!

Marty
terrannz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 09:06:24 AM »

why not change the way you have it set up? You could reinstall Pardus on any one of your drives and place grub on the MBR of the same drive (which Pardus seems to default to). Then you could choose to boot from that drive in the system BIOS.

This is what I'm doing.  I installed it on my thirt drive and windows is booting fine from the MBR.

I wanted to keep pardus out of the way of the computer's other user, my wife.

I press F11 and get my BIOS boot menu and select my third drive (where I chose to put the pardus boot loader) and I get the error in plain text that I mentioned in post one.

Tomorrow is saturday and hopefully I can spend some time to what what's been suggested.

BTW, to fix the MBR after playing with linux distros and get your plain old windows boot back is /FIXMBR from the recovery console when booting from the winXP disk.

My problem is I know windows backward but I'm still just a "user" in linux.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: