Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:46:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  unknown hostname on router
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: unknown hostname on router  (Read 1733 times)
aert077
« on: March 06, 2007, 20:40:46 PM »

After installing with standard hostname (pardus) i connected to my usrobotics 8054 router, using automatic DHCP settings.
I get a connection and an IP adress that works, that is i can connect to the internet and use firefox.

My problem is, that my router does not know the hostname pardus.
It tells me the hostname is either unknown or (I have a double boot system) the hostname is still winxyz, the windows name of the other part of my system I just restarted when I do not reinitialyze my router. In that case the hostname of windowsXP, winxyz, persists !

When I try to look for dhcpcd daemon or .conf files, it looks as if pardus does not use dcphpcd at all. Is this the case ? Or am I not looking in the right places ?

In fact dchcpcd is all I could find to send my hostname (pardus) to my router.
I think without my router knowing what part of my system is running (pardus or winxyz) I will be in trouble as soon as I get to using samba, because samba may start looking for windows shares while pardus is connected (not only the hostname is the same, the IP adress is not changed either...)
So before going into samba I should like to know:
Am I right that pardus does not use dhcpcd ? And if so: where and how can I tell my router, when connecting to it using dhcp,  that pardus is the system it is connected to and not winxyz ??

Thanks,
Aert
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:00:28 AM »

What is the content of the file /etc/hosts?

Jan.
aert077
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 21:44:54 PM »

Hallo Jan (groetjes in dutch)
the contents of this file is
 127.0.0.1               localhost pardus

as expected, at least by me...

So i hope the explanation why this hostname (pardus)  is not forwarded to my router is not difficult ?? Do I have to do it somehow or somewhere ?
For now I have no clue

Update:
The problem seems to be that I use a double-boot system.
When I login into Windos I get a connection via my router to my network, using hostname abcdef, the lease my router grants me is valid until next week.
Switching to Linux (hostname pardus) does not affect the lease, probably because the MAC-adress of the double boot system remains the same.  My router apparently does not see the need to change the hostname from abcdef to pardus.
As soon as (using su -) I give the two commands:
/sbin/dhcpcd -k followed by /sbin/dhcpcd -h pardus
my router kills the lease to abcdef and gives me a lease to pardus until infinity. This is the behaviour I hoped for...

So now all I have got to do is find the script where pardus executes the dhcpcd at startup, in order to include the two commands that do the trick for me, as well as inserting the dhcpcd -k command in some exiting script before pardus exits, to avoid the problem the other way around when I restart Windos, which I have to do from time to time until I have Samba working the way I need it to work

Can someone please lead me to the right scripts and the places where I can find them ??

Aert
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 14:01:17 PM »

You might try /etc/conf.d/local.start and /etc/conf.d/local.stop
aert077
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »

Thanks roverrat, for telling me about these two files
These are suitable for what I want to do:  a few things at startup and (if necessary, which is seldom) at shutdown
Maybe it was not a good idea afterall to throw away all redhat documentation from some nine years ago, because I vagely remember having seen filenames like these before.....
One last question if I may: did you find the answer to my question by trial and error, or is there a piece of pardus documentation I missed ?

Thanks again,
Aert
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »

Hi Aert, I found those files when looking in the /etc/conf.d directory. They are mentioned as well on one or two  other posts on this forum.

One of the biggest disadvantages of Pardus -- which apart from that I think is an excellent linux distro -- is the lack of (english) documentation. The wiki http://en.pardus-wiki.org/ is still relatively empty...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:21:29 PM by roverrat » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: