Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:54:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  suspend to ram doesn't work
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: suspend to ram doesn't work  (Read 2625 times)
flannel

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:28:31 AM »

Hi,
I have an Acer 1652 WLMi notebook, when I press fn+F4 or select suspend to ram in the "leave" menu my notebook freezes and the monitor goes black but all seem still turned on... all I can do then is pressing the power button to shutdown....
I'm really impressed by this distro, I think it's awesome and extremely user friendly, but must revert to some other distro due to the suspend problem.

some help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:34:37 AM »

I'm really impressed by this distro, I think it's awesome and extremely user friendly, but must revert to some other distro due to the suspend problem.
I'm afraid, that the choice of distro's will be very narrow, because the problem you describe occurs with many distro's. It has something to do with the implementation of acpi.
Maybe you can solve this problem by "playing" with the boot-parameters in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. In this file there's a long line, starting with "kernel". In that line you can put the words "noapic" and/or "noacpi" (without the quotes...) and see if, after a reboot, the problem still exists. In some cases this solves the problem.

Jan.
flannel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »

I am, basically, an ubuntu user since 3 years, and, for example, in feisty suspend to ram, suspend to disk and acpi works fine and out-of-the-box on my notebook.
I've tried to play with the kernel line in menu.lst, I've added "acpi=s3_bios" but nothing change, I've tried to port the scripts in /etc/acpi from ubuntu tu pardus but  they doesn't work, all I have obtained is blocking the screen when lid is closed and resume to screensaver password (so, no effective "suspend").

I decided to soon return to pardus, hope I can finally find how to fix this issue.

Dave.
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »

Maybe you should do a bug-report ( http://bugs.pardus.org.tr ).

Jan.
flannel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »

I've just re-installed pardus, tried to suspend to ram and the machine suspended correctly, but... when I press some key to wake up, the screen remains black and all I have to do is press the power button to shutdown, even ctrl+alt+F[1-6] doesn't work...

in other words: notebook fail to resume after suspend to ram (screen remains black)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 12:30:30 PM by flannel » Logged
flannel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:34:06 PM »

Maybe you should do a bug-report ( http://bugs.pardus.org.tr ).

Jan.

I'd like to, but absolutely I don't understand turkish neither I can speak it.
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 14:17:18 PM »

Doesn't matter: if you don't do it right, the dev's will make the right corrections of the bug-report and notify you.

Jan.
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 21:23:01 PM »

I've tried to play with the kernel line in menu.lst, I've added "acpi=s3_bios" but nothing change,

I've read somewhere (don't know where anymore) that you can try adding "acpi_sleep=s3_bios" in the kernel line.

B.t.w.: I found a nice article about suspend at http://www.advogato.org/article/913.html

Jan.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 21:24:54 PM by Jan Gnodde » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: