Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:42:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Network scripts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network scripts  (Read 1523 times)
baboo
« on: April 25, 2007, 19:11:07 PM »

I really like this distro! Worked out my wireless problems and got it working. But, I would like to have an answer on a couple of things. I want to install some software and my network interfaces need to be configured with cli.

1. What is the command to start or restart network?
2. Where does net interface files reside? (e.g., ifcfg-eth0)
3. Where do I save wireless settings so on reboot they work?

I have searched the forum on all these questions but could not find an answer. Help would be really appreciated.

regards
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 17:56:26 PM »

Hi baboo,

to manage the network interfaces Pardus uses the the script /sbin/ifcfg. For example to bring down the eth0 interface you could use

ifcfg eth0 stop

To bring it up use

ifcfg eth0 <ip-address>
(ifcfg eth0 10.10.22.186 for example)

baboo
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 18:15:34 PM »

Thanks - I appreciate your trying to answer my question.

regards
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 21:32:46 PM »

After reading through your other thread http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=976.0 I see what you mean, baboo. Seems like we are stuck at the same point. As far as I know the whole networking thing in Pardus is handled by Comar. At present I do not know how to interact with this piece of software.

Can anyone of you Pardus developers please explain how to start/stop the network service from the command line? Does Pardus have interface configuration files like other distros do?
baboo
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 14:09:22 PM »

thanks for the input roverrat. I must admit that it is troubling that the Pardus development team does not respond to this type of question. But they do respond to someone asking how to unzip a tar.gz file.

I am writing a review on distros to be published in June. For the last 60 days I have installed every distro in the  "Top 100" on Distrowatch. Pardus was very impressive except for the manual configuration of partitions. Too limited. However, when such a basic critical piece of information can not get a response, you have to wonder if they want to be seen as a real player.

Pardus is definitely  a desktop that could compete with any distro or os. I heard they were working on a server version, but I think they are not prepared to deal with all the support questions that will come at them if they release a server version.
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:44:45 AM »

Pardus is definitely  a desktop that could compete with any distro or os. I heard they were working on a server version, but I think they are not prepared to deal with all the support questions that will come at them if they release a server version.
Pardus is a young distribution, aimed for the Turkish market. It went international just last year, because of the interest of some people outside Turkey. The main developers are paid by the Turkish government, and so their support is mainly aimed at the Turkish "market".
But you can reach them more easely on IRC: irc.freenode.org channel #pardus

Jan
baboo
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 14:28:34 PM »

Jan, thanks for the comment. I understand that - I really do. And, Yes - I have been to the irc but no one ever responds. My point is that they have made an impression on the international market and its a shame that they do not take advantage of that to be  the best. It's very hard to reestablish a first impression.

thanks again
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 14:43:48 PM »

In the future there will be non-profit support programms, don't worry...

For freedom...
roverrat
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 14:13:12 PM »

Willem, could you be more specific? What kind of support programs and by whom? I have to agree with baboo. The developers on irc are willing but it's hard getting hands on information from them even there.

I think Pardus has great potential, but unless there's going to be more intermediate level documentation it will have a hard time to really get a foot on the ground outside Turkey.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 14:18:10 PM by roverrat » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: