Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 23:03:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  hi pardus
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hi pardus  (Read 1963 times)
lighans

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »

Hi everybody.

After years of fun with vectorlinux (and before that mandrake), I decided to try something new with the laptop I bought. Vector is very good on old systems, but the laptop is brandnew.  Wink And a good excuse to try something else.  Grin

First tried some live-cds from xubuntu, wolvix. And after reading in linuxmag about pardus, it wouldn't hurt to try this one to. And well, this was smashing. Everything worked (except pisi ofcourse). A bit confusing cause no other distro could do this. How did Pardus do that? And why has such a young distro such a good look and feel?

Since a few days I installed it next to XP. And absolutely nice and fast. Firefox and openoffice are much faster to start compared to XP (but also compared to Xubuntu which was installed before Pardus). Also it feels very coherent and complete.

One glitch so far is the sound via the speakers (other thread added this question). And some trouble with Pisi, where the repository file is not found. Something i didn't try to solve yet.

So very happy with this distro which tastes sweet like turkish pizza  Wink
Jan Gnodde
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 13:44:27 PM »

Welcome to this forum and to Pardus. I hope your sound-problem will be over soon.

As to Pisi: it seems the pisi-server in Turkey can't be found at the moment (a DNS-problem?).
Maybe you should take a mirror ( http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pardusrepo/2007/pisi-index.xml.bz2 ). You can configure that in the package-manager, under "settings".

Jan.
lighans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 14:47:11 PM »

Welcome to this forum and to Pardus. I hope your sound-problem will be over soon.

As to Pisi: it seems the pisi-server in Turkey can't be found at the moment (a DNS-problem?).
Maybe you should take a mirror ( http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pardusrepo/2007/pisi-index.xml.bz2 ). You can configure that in the package-manager, under "settings".

Jan.
Maybe the speakers just have a cold  Tongue

I'll try your mirror at home.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 19:47:48 PM »

Hi Lighans,
good to have you at the forum! I noticed that your IP is from Holland, so I also would like to invite you to visit our dutch forum:
http://forum.pardus-linux.nl

Welcome!

For freedom...
lighans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 19:55:10 PM »

Hi Lighans,
good to have you at the forum! I noticed that your IP is from Holland, so I also would like to invite you to visit our dutch forum:
http://forum.pardus-linux.nl

Welcome!
Thanks, dank je.
I will go to the dutch forum as well, but I expected that the englisch forum would be more active.
And eh my website has a .nl .......
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 20:00:18 PM »

Holland is the most active country, concerning Pardus, after Turkey of course.  Cheesy
We dutch like Turkey for more than just going on a holiday to.  Tongue

For freedom...
lighans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 21:04:51 PM »

Jan.
jep, it works. Thanks. Now I understand what that number in the pisi icon means  Smiley

Holland is the most active country, concerning Pardus, after Turkey of course.  Cheesy
We dutch like Turkey for more than just going on a holiday to.  Tongue
Wonder why that is. I also wondered if there are a lot of turkey who migrated to the Netherlands using Pardus.
Anyway, I like Pardus because of ease and good looks. Not especially cause it's a "european" distro. Although I tend to try that distro's first. (But: Vectorlinux is great for slow computers. And this one is Canadian based).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: